Web Marketing Help Forum
nixwebo

Link Wheel Explained

Link wheels have been around for some time, although do to some recent product releases, there is quite a buzz in the seo world about the Link Wheel. What is it, how do I get one and do they help?

Well yes, link wheels are good solid seo and they are rather simple to setup. The idea is this. You get a bunch of free Web 2.0 properties on the same topic, link to each other and link to your main site or you "money site" from each. Simple enough right?

Well I have been asked time and time again to explain, so instead of rambling further, I have found some images that do a better job than I could put into words, so please look at the attached images and you will be sure to get the picture.

Here is a list of some Web 2.0 Properties that can be used in a link wheel, of course you can use any you like these are just some of the more popular places to start.

Quizilla, Blogger, Weebly, Squidoo, Vox, Blogsome, Help.com, Xanga, Hubpages, Zimbio, Wetpaint, Wikidot, Twine, Docstoc, blinkweb, ehow, Ezine, Goarticles, webs, blog.com, Zimbio, Tumblr, Livejournal

Good luck and I hope this helps, if you have any questions just drop em below.

Happy Link Wheeling!

post-3350-126499537445_thumb.jpg

post-3350-126499537692_thumb.png

post-3350-126499537808_thumb.jpg

post-3350-126499537907_thumb.jpg

post-3350-126499538009_thumb.jpg

Looks like and interesting inner locking link method. I have never set one up, but I may give the link wheel a try.

where would the diggs, stumbleupons, mixxes and other bookmarks fit in to the wheel?

Well the first image shows how they would fit in. Social bookmarking sites would be like a mini wheel to each of the blog or web 2.0 sites and you would create a mini wheel on the outside of the main one using these sites. Social bookmarking sites cannot be part of any true link wheel, because you cannot add multiple links on a single post. The idea of the link wheel is centered around having 2 links on each page or post.

Oh, hard time understanding this. So it means that according to the wheel any entity in the inner link wheel will have links to both the main site and also to other web 2.0 sites??

I've been wanting to learn about the link wheel for sometime now. There are a lot of services that offer these kind of things. Do they just go and comment on various things and submit them to do the link wheel?? Thanks for the pictures :)

I've been wanting to learn about the link wheel for sometime now. There are a lot of services that offer these kind of things. Do they just go and comment on various things and submit them to do the link wheel?? Thanks for the pictures :)

This is how I understand it and if I am wrong please tell me.

You have a money (niche) site. Then you build subsites I call them around it (squidoo, hubpages, ezines and so forth). With links pointing to the money site and the other subsites. That the outer wheel. You can also digg, mixx and stubleupon for example to the subsites on the outer wheel according to this chart.

I have heard from this forum that you can also digg mixx and stumbleupon to the money site but now I am think maybe I did it wrong. Did I?

Anyway you need to build all of these sites on your own or pay someone to do it. Yes you can comment on sites with links back to your site but I think that is a different thing.

Sounds like you got it to me. The idea is borrowing some of the authority from the huge sites and hopefully some it passes on to your own. These huge sites make for some very valuable links in the eyes of the search engines. I have seen some nice direct traffic from a couple I setup myself, but the real power is getting a healthy boost in the SERP's. Link wheels are really nothing magical, just a logical manor to create a circle of your own web properties that hopefully maintains the traffic in your loop so to speak.

Thanks…Nick for explaining the concept of link wheel to us. It is no doubt that Link Wheel is going to get lots of good quality traffic to websites.

No problem, always glad to help where I can.

The biggest thing to understand about the link wheel is that you don't have to use other people's websites to link build. You can create free website or free pages all over the internet and build links on your own free pages to give some good link juice to you main website. It is very powerful and very free. If you are looking for backlinks, you can hire a service which can be helpful, but I would start here first.

I really like this idea, thanks for the description and diagrams as well. This way when people leave one of your sites they end up at another and hopefully your monetized site. This seems like a great way to gain exposure and useful backlinks.

I really like this idea, thanks for the description and diagrams as well. This way when people leave one of your sites they end up at another and hopefully your monetized site. This seems like a great way to gain exposure and useful backlinks.

It is a very powerful technique. You just got to spend some time finding good keywords to focus on and then make sure that you take the time to set it up right. If you have a product, this is a good way to give it a boost in traffic rather quickly.

Hope you see some very positive results from your efforts,

Nick

This is how I understand it and if I am wrong please tell me.

You have a money (niche) site. Then you build subsites I call them around it (squidoo, hubpages, ezines and so forth). With links pointing to the money site and the other subsites. That the outer wheel. You can also digg, mixx and stubleupon for example to the subsites on the outer wheel according to this chart.

I have heard from this forum that you can also digg mixx and stumbleupon to the money site but now I am think maybe I did it wrong. Did I?

Anyway you need to build all of these sites on your own or pay someone to do it. Yes you can comment on sites with links back to your site but I think that is a different thing.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the details! I was helping someone with their sites and I didn't even know that I was link building lol. I love using the "Add This" plug in on firefox because it has all of those sites there that you can just submit your site to and be done with it.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the details! I was helping someone with their sites and I didn't even know that I was link building lol. I love using the "Add This" plug in on firefox because it has all of those sites there that you can just submit your site to and be done with it.

Kari where is the add this plug in? (I am kinda new to FF, always used IE) I l know FF users will mock me.

I have been doing something similar but had not put much thought into it but now I will use your illustrations to keep it organized.

Alright I set up a weebly, that ones easy to set up and comes with revenue share. I already had a wordpress but I kind of changed it so it would support my current site and I also did a webs page. Quizilla also but that one seems a little harder because they say no article to promote another site and that is what I am doing so I just tried not to make it obvious. I already had a live journal but hadn't done anything with it.

So I did similar subjects on all of these but still not the exact same content on my main site. Ask me in a couple of months and I will tell you how it works. I tried to set them up to drive traffic along with links and rss.

I have been doing something similar but had not put much thought into it but now I will use your illustrations to keep it organized.

Hope that it helps. I know that if you are going to target multiple markets or try to drive traffic to different products this is a great way to get some traffic stirred up for each. I think the concept is solid and many times it can get some fast results if implemented correctly.

Unfortunately linkwheels did not work for me. I created a six spoke wheel linking major websites. The first linkwheel was linked to my main landing page and another wheel to an article. Both brought in very low results.

As a matter of fact I also read that google hates linkwheels.

Well, some webmasters might believe that link wheels are like artificial link building tactics but please note that you do not necessarily have to use the networks to build one way backlinks. Many times by the use of graphical ads the sites admins generate a lot of daily traffic and page hits for their websites. For example, after creating your blog sites, LiveJournal, Blogger, WordPress and others, you can upload your web ads or mini landing pages, even if the links are no followed or generated via scripts and this way, your homepage could get visited regularly.

When creating the Wheel, does the title of the blog matter? For instance i'm going after Charlotte Investment Properties. Typically i've been tole to use this in the title. You can't do this in multiple blogs, so are the anchor text the more important thing to consider?

Then, do you use the exact same ancho text in each and every blog/squidoo/etc...from the farthest spoke all the way into the center (the money site).

• Like 1

i read on a web article that once you are done with you wheel...you need to start promoting it like crazy...then he gave some strategies for this. Is this necessary, or will it work itself.

• Like 1

very good post.

i have a question. Lets say i setup a simple link wheel - 5 web 2.0 sites, linking to each other and also back to my main website.

Lets say my main site is about 'hair loss'. I build all 5 of my web 2.0 sites around hair loss and i link to each web 2.0 to create the wheel, and then also i use anchor text on each of the web 2.0 of 'hair loss' pointing back to my main website. So thats great, i now have 5 unique backlinks for the phrase 'hair loss' pointing to my main site.

Now what ? Say i want to target the keyword 'stop hair loss' the next week, where do i put the anchor text 'stop hair loss' on the web 2.0 sites ? As i thought you could only have 2 outbound links from each of your web 2.0 site ?

Or do i post a new article to each of my web 2.0 sites with the new anchor text 'stop hair loss' ? Are you allowed to enter new / different anchor text in each of the web 2.0 sites you mention above ? And can i post new articles each day with different anchor text and a link to my next web 2.0 site (wheel) ?

Aay help would be appreciated.

• Like 1