Web Marketing Help Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cyberactive

Should I keep my registrar and host separate?

Some people think it's best to have them separate just in case a problem with the host arises. And some people think it's best to use one place for a registrar and host for convenience. I'm not sure what to do. Who do I use for a registrar and who do I use for a host. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Always keep your registrar and host separate. Sometimes getting your domain back becomes a major problem. Read this thread http://forum.massivelinks.com/showthread.php?t=9596 . He had hosted his sites with Lycos and registered them there too.

I've always used GoDaddy and the host for this website is Apthost.com. I've never dealt with the shared hosting with Apthost but I've been very happy with their dedicated servers.

Yes, Go take a look at that thread Fabio posted and to avoid mass confusion and save yourself a lot of time just keep them seperate.

Some hosting providers (glowhost.com) and even accredited domain regsitrars (sibername.com) offer domains for free within their hosting plans, this is very useful practice if you need to save some money on registration.

However if to get such domain name, make sure you are the owner, as I heard horror stories of some providers (named above are NOT of those) get their domain back when you go to another host... But, fortunately, I have not ever dealt with such cheaters yet.

Don't put the eggs in one basket - I recommend you to host your web sites and register domain names separately. As for recommendation, have a look at eurodns.com because this registrar offers a wide range of domain registration at affordable price. Moreover, it offers many discounts, so you will save some money. As for hosting provider, I highly recommend you to check hqhost.net offers - it will meet all your expectations on favorable terms.

I also recommend hosting and registering your domain with separate companies. I use 123reg or Godaddy for registering and Just host/dataflame and Century media for hosting. If you keep them separate it enables you to quickly change your hosting package if needed by just changing where the domain is pointing. If you change otherwise, it means your site can go down for a few days.

Guest vjTOM

You know, if the company has been providing web hosting services and registering domain names for more than 5 years and has good reputation in the web hosting services market, you can trust it. I think it would be suitable to buy hosting and register domain name with one and the same company. Have a look at webhostgiant.com - no doubt, you will save good money if you deal with it. Their offers are really cheap.

Personally I found having your domain and website hosting registered with the same company provides extremely poor support and doesn't give you a plan that you would normally like or require.

I register domains through Godaddy and hosting with T35, and I have never had an issue before, unlike when I had hosting with Godaddy at the same time is when I was having issues nearly every single week.