Web Marketing Help Forum
dismaldonkey

Computer wont start

I have just moved house, when I came to plug in my computer it wont start. The light comes on, the fans whirl, but apart from that nothing. Nothing appears on the monitor, the light on the wireless mouse receiver doesn't come on.....zilch. It is exactly the same hardware that I had before, nothing has changed.

I did have this same problem a couple of months ago when I had to unplug the computer, but it just seemed to eventualy fix itself that time and I can't remember what I did. Because it has done it before I don't think that anything has become dislodged inside it because of the move. ( I had a look anyway but couldn't see any problem).

:frown::mad:

So far I have phoned 3 local repair sevices. One said it absolutely and certainly had to be the motherboard. The second said no, it had to be the RAM. The third said he had no idea without testing every component ($400 just for the test).

I guess I will just have to start changing the components one by one until I find the fault. I was hoping someone here had the same problem at some time and knew of a solution.

I'm going to guess that its a desktop, just because I'm good like that. If its not, I was never here. ;)

If I had to give a 5 minute diagnosis, I would guess that a cable has become disconnected-likely from the hard drive.

Desktop, yes.

I had it open and checked as many cables, cards, etc as I could see. I didn't notice anything wrong in there, but do you ever?

It could be you had some ram go out or part of your hard drive went out. How big of a hard drive do you and how many?

I have just the 1 hard drive, 320 gig. Someone else mentioned it could be the ram, I am going to grab another stick today and put that it. Hope it's just that and not the motherboard.

It really should be beeping at you when you try to start it if there is a RAM or hard drive problem.

Mine never beeped at me when my ram went bad. I would get about half way with the boot and nothing would happen after that.

I've had a problem just like that. I got the man out, he took the side off, wiggled a few of the PC boards in thier slots, brushed them, added a bit of solder to the connections that looked like they wanted a bit and hey presto it all worked!

My guess was that one of the connection plugs had slightly disconnected the main boards and all it wanted was a push home.

Why not give it a try, you have a broken computer at the moment and have nothing to lose.

Mine never beeped at me when my ram went bad. I would get about half way with the boot and nothing would happen after that.

Try turning off the mute lol:rotfl:

Why I don't have a mutate computer. It beeps at me when I don't feed it. Which reminds me, it is feeding time.

Did you check if your monitor is turned on. If not then check the power cable else

If you have the user manual with you look for the diagnostics or system indicators section. it might help you diagnose the problem.

By the way which make is your computer