Web Marketing Help Forum
Sign in to follow this  
martian2k4

My new computer, decent spec?

I have recently ordered a new computer and was wondering if this is a good spec computer :D

Msi motherboard (*can't remember which, it has on board gfx and lan and such*)

Sony 18x Dvd read 40x CdRom read/write

Maxtor 120 Gig hard drive

Predator gaming case

Amd Sempron 2400+

And thats about it. Bit bare at the mo but i will be upgrading it bit by bit soon :D

I have recently ordered a new computer and was wondering if this is a good spec computer :D

I would have to say that depends on what you are using it for, as a games machine it would struggle, for general internet surfing and web building tasks it should be fine.

The graphics is definately the weakest point if you are playing newer, graphically intensive games such as first person shooters, ie if you wanna play HL2 with that set up you will struggle like mad. The processor is ok, but as it is a sempron it's not as good as the athlon xp chip - think, sempron is to athlon what the celeron is to the intel chip.

MSI mobos are normally pretty good, so assuming you have an AGP port for your new graphics card, that should be ok for a fair while. Get a decent graphics card and the processor will be ok.

So instead of upgrading all 3 components I would suggest spending the available funds on the graphics and getting something nice :smile:

I, however, would suggest upgrading the processor before the video card. From my experience, the processor and RAM are the most important components. Considering that AMD processors are so cheap, it shouldn't cost much at all to upgrade your processor to an Athlon XP or AMD 64.

He could definately upgrade to an Athlon XP relatively cheaply, to gain a small performance boost, but to get an AMD 64 would be far more expensive, especially as it would require a new motherboard at the same time. I suggested graphics card as he is looking for the computer to be a gaming machine. Whilst I have plenty of games that benefit from having 1.5GB of RAM, the performance increase against 256MB on all but the newest of them is negligable, IMO.