Web Marketing Help Forum
Tony025

Compressing HD

Tony,

This is info I got from a friend since I do not have first hand experience, but what he says makes sense to me.

It may seem like a really cool idea, getting more things to fit on your hard drive. It SOUNDS like hard drive space for free. You have to think about it as if every file on the hard drive was put into one of those ZIP files you download from the internet. Compressed files cannot run, so before they can be used, they have to be uncompressed, and then, before they can be written to the drive again, they have to be compressed. All of this compressing and uncompressing adds up to a huge overall speed decrease.

Here is what I suggest:

Instead of compressing, get a larger hard drive. You will be amazed at how low a price you can get at a computer show.

If you DO compress your drive, do not compress the C:\WINDOWS directory. Compress only directories that you use only occasionally.

If you DO compress your drive, do not use DoubleSpace

Is there any drawback from Compressing your HD? Like would some software run slower?

Not good to use in the long run.

Thanks, I have always compressed my HD on all my pc's. I never really had a problem with it but I didn't know if it slowed down my programs.

You should be aware that compressed volumes (HD Partitions) can become corrupted. If a file on your hard drive becomes corrupted then you just loose that file. If the compressed partition becomes currupted, you loose everything!

The only time I have ever had a corrupted file was when I was downloading from the net other than that my files have always been fine, plus I do have backups of everything that I have.

It's just something to think about. A compressed partition is nothing more then one big file, much like a zip file, that is written to on the fly. I have lost a whole drive because the compressed partition became corrupted. Large hard drives are too cheap today to risk such a thing happening.

Ditto what CadManOne said.

You WILL take a performance hit.

You may also experience a higher rate of file corruption.

Your HD will have to work a lot more, decreasing its overall lifespan.

I'd agree with CadManOne and get a larger hard drive. I've had a bad experience in the past that all my compressed files got corrupted through a virus... stick with getting a bigger hard drive... get two if the price is right.

You can compress your hard drive when it is nearing full capacity. This will give you some extra space. Your programs will also run faster than before.