Web Marketing Help Forum
Fabio Cuffaro

Resistance to Vista

I was reading this article about Dell deciding to continue selling Windows XP with some of their computers because they're still selling computers that don't have dual processors and heavy graphics cards which is highly recommended to use with Vista.

I know that I won't be upgrading to Vista until I purchase a new computer because I find that Windows XP does a fine job, and when I do change my computer I probably won't have a choice but to use Vista ao that's why I'll upgrade.

After reading this article I was wondering why there's been such a resistance to Vista. Is it because XP has been really good or because people are simply fed up of having to change? Why do you think there's been this resistance?

Two things I heard that I don't like.

1. Vista is a resource hog
  2. Vista DELETES software it deems dangerous

I suspect it may delete open source programs. No thanks, I'll decide what I want on my PC myself.

People with existing computers may not be able to use VISTA without upgrading

their system. So, as computers are replaced the change to VISTA will

occur.

Plus, some resistance in light of MS usual release and let the user's debug.

So, people are possible wating some time - until they feel that vista is

reliable.

~Roland

I read an article where it said that big business is on a wait and see. If big business is not going to do it, what makes them think the small guy like me will do it.

Guest Desert Rose 702

I am concerned that Vista still has a number of "bugs". Tony and I have talked about buying a new computer but will probably wait a while longer til we hear better things about Vista.

Lack of drivers seems to be the thing that's killing adoption. I have a customer with a new OKI printer and Vista, OKI promised the driver in March, my customer is still waiting to be able to print :(

However if you have compatible hardware, then it's a really nice user experience. The wife's machine is running Vista and Office 2007 and she loves it. My new machine's nearly complete with Vista & 2007, however I had to rob some parts from it for a customer machine so I'm still on XP.

If it aint broke dont fix it!

You need better processors for Vista and like XP Vista will have loads of bugs before it is useable. then they will upgrade the system again.

Does Bill Gates really need the money?

Just remember that XP had its flaws, and still has its flaws. Software, especially OS' take a while to settle. I myself am not going to upgrade until 18 months+ down the line, even though I run Dual Cores, High End G/C.. :rolleyes:

Just remember that XP had its flaws, and still has its flaws. Software, especially OS' take a while to settle. I myself am not going to upgrade until 18 months+ down the line, even though I run Dual Cores, High End G/C.. :rolleyes:

I am like you. I will wait until most of the bugs are out of it.

I am concerned that Vista still has a number of "bugs". Tony and I have talked about buying a new computer but will probably wait a while longer til we hear better things about Vista.

Windows Vista does have bugs in it. Just heard from someone about the bought Windows Vista. He had Windows Xp Pro and he bought Windows Vista Basic and installed it on his pc and it got 3/4 through the installation and it hanged up and wouldn't finish the installation. So he started again and it did the same thing so he reinstalled Xp Pro and it's fine. The ones that comes preloaded on a new pc some are having problems playing video games and something about having problems uninstalling certain softwares. I'm actually hearing a lot of bugs with Vista now. For now I'll keep my Xp Basic and Pro until some of the bugs are fixed.

for me it's a couple reasons:

1. give ms time to get a few service packs under their belt

2. I've heard that it's a massive resource hog and since I run photoshop, dreamweaver, flash, outlook, et al. typically at the same time, I don't need anything stealing my thunder

:D

for me it's a couple reasons:

1. give ms time to get a few service packs under their belt

2. I've heard that it's a massive resource hog and since I run photoshop, dreamweaver, flash, outlook, et al. typically at the same time, I don't need anything stealing my thunder

:D

I never knew you had any thunder to steal.

It is working out fine for me after some initial problems on one PC- I would recommend checking compatibility lists and running the compatibility tool - the 64bit version will only run signed drivers.

With all the delays that MS had with the release of Vista I feel it was probably rushed to market in the end anyway. I will only get it with a new PC or perhaps after Service Pack 1 (of many?) is released. It is stll BETA software in my opinion. We should all know Bill Gates moto by now: "Bigger, Better, Slower". I'm about ready to bring back DOS. But I could be wrong, it's just my opinion. :)

You will be assimilated

Run it on an old machine it will be slow, on newer machines it runs faster - full screen video wallpaper (got bored of it and turned it off now) did not affect performance whatsoever - it makes better use of graphic cards.

Cheers,

Tony

I'm about ready to bring back DOS.

For what most office staff use a PC for, then I would agree with you.

I ran a network about 18 years ago using a networked edition of Word Perfect with a local email (no external links due to the fact that it was used for government work!). We used to produce technical documents of hundreds of pages with staff working together over the network all from a basic single floppy PC with network card.

What do we do now? Produce technical documentation using PC's which need to have huge memory and big disks just to boot the OS, then even more resource to load the word processor and and load a document. Not really much progress :)

What do most people do with Excel today that they couldn't have done with Lotus 123 or SuperCalc on their DOS PC 15 years ago?

Guest Desert Rose 702

If we were to buy a new computer now though, I am assuming they all come with Vista (no more XP). How long to wait before Vista is "safe"?

If we were to buy a new computer now though, I am assuming they all come with Vista (no more XP). How long to wait before Vista is "safe"?

At least a year.

We actually needed new computers. And some of the new Vista features were just cool (I know, a geek). We ended up with a Dual Xeon 3.0G, 4G RAM, 300G RAID hard drive, 512MB video card.

I would not recommend though trying to upgrade. Dell did try to sell us Windows XP but that was one thing we flat out refused. We have not had any problems though installing new software. The UAC is a bit of a pain at times (some software needs to be ran as Administrator to run properly).

You can request XP as an OS when you purchase from Dell. I'm not sure how much longer that will be an option though. Something to consider if your wanting XP on your next machine is to look at Dell's refurbished systems. I get them on a regular basis and have had good luck with them. They come with the same warranty as a new system.

I never knew you had any thunder to steal.

I don't, that's the whole point.

cadman - no more dells, ever! :)

Guest Desert Rose 702

CadMan: I never had a Dell and don't want one. My sister bought a Dell and had a very bad time with it overall. Probably partly her fault but I prefer going to a store instead of buying something online. I like to see what I'm getting, look at it, touch it, walk around it and think about it while it's in front of me.

If you're buying a big name PC and you're intending to use known commpatible printers scanners etc... and your software is current, then in most cases you shouldn't have an issue. Upgrades are more fun as this is when you discover the incompatibilities :(

Many people used to say wait for SP1 on every MS product, but these days they tend to release patches when they're needed rather than wait and bundle them in 6 months time, so there's less of a rush to produce a service pack.

If your apps and hardware are compatible, then go for it, if not then wait.

CadMan: I never had a Dell and don't want one. My sister bought a Dell and had a very bad time with it overall. Probably partly her fault but I prefer going to a store instead of buying something online. I like to see what I'm getting, look at it, touch it, walk around it and think about it while it's in front of me.

I'm the opposite I have always bought Dell because I have never had a problem with them, the problems that I have are with the HP's. HP makes good printers and camers ect but not a good pc.