Web Marketing Help Forum
Bee

Favorites

I switched from Earthlink dial up to Charter cable. I want to un~install Earthlink now. Will I lose my Favorites? My default homepage is Yahoo.

Thanks, Bee:icon_roll

Usually your favorites are attached to the browser that you are using.

To be on the safe side, most browsers allow you to export them as well (as a way of backing them up). You should be able to go to file - import and export or while you have your bookmarks opened it might be in file - export

Usually your favorites are attached to the browser that you are using.

To be on the safe side, most browsers allow you to export them as well (as a way of backing them up). You should be able to go to file - import and export or while you have your bookmarks opened it might be in file - export

yup your right on the browser part If you are using IE 6 or IE 7 don't worry about backing them up because thats not apart of Earthlink and they will remain there.

While you don't need to do the backup because of changing your ISP it is a very good idea to make that a part of you normal backup set. You should also consider doing a backup of your Outlook/Outlook Express info as well. Some people can spend years putting together a treasured list of Favorites (and Contacts in their email program) and it can all go south in a heartbeat. Backup is your friend!

I am using IE 7. They are in my Favorites. I have not yet bookmarked them in Yahoo. Should I, or does it matter?

When I export something, am I just saving it in another file, or am I moving it? I don't want to make any mistakes and lose them. Also, can I save them on a CD? I appreciate all of your help. Thanks ;)

Basically IE just saves / exports them to an HTML file. You can save this HTML anywhere you would like to. I usually back this up every month just to be on the safe side.

here is a quick way to back up yr favorites, click on my computer/ click on Local Disk ©/ click on Documents and Settings/ click on your user name/ click on Favorites and there are all your favorite sites! So it's

my computer/C:/Documents and Settings/user name/Favorites..Just make a new folder on your desktop and copy and paste and your done.

While you don't need to do the backup because of changing your ISP it is a very good idea to make that a part of you normal backup set. You should also consider doing a backup of your Outlook/Outlook Express info as well. Some people can spend years putting together a treasured list of Favorites (and Contacts in their email program) and it can all go south in a heartbeat. Backup is your friend!

amen, brutha! :cool:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! I will try this because I was having trouble exporting it to another file that I had made. Bee :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! I will try this because I was having trouble exporting it to another file that I had made. Bee :)

Good luck in the exporting.

Good luck in the exporting.

I never do any exporting I think it's quicker to do it the other way.

Tony, I followed your instructions and when I got to the Favorites folder, it was empty. :rolleyes:

Tony, I followed your instructions and when I got to the Favorites folder, it was empty. :rolleyes:

You did not lose anything did you?

No, I haven't moved anything yet.

That is good to hear. I know there is a way of moving your favorites but for the life of me I don't remember how I did it.

Did you click on the right user name because if there is more than one account there will be more user files. Open up your IE 7 and look in your favorites just to make sure they are still there. If your favorites are hidden in the user file then you will have to un-hide them, which I will tell you later once you check what I said.

I only see one file that says: ALL USERS FILE. In there is a FAVORITES folder. On my top page I clicked on my FAVORITES drop down menu and they are still there. :icon_redf

you could always download firefox and import your favorites :) no exporting necessary ;)

NeO

I only see one file that says: ALL USERS FILE. In there is a FAVORITES folder. On my top page I clicked on my FAVORITES drop down menu and they are still there. :icon_redf

This is how it looks on my pc. When I open Documents and Settings I see two folders. One folder is called All Users and if I go to my favorites in that folder there is nothing there. The other folder is called Tony, if I open that folder I will see my favorite but the icon is a star and in that folder is where my favorite websites are saved. I am using windows xp basic but it should still be the same for all windows xp and above. Here is another way you can do this just open up your IE 7 and open up your favorite and click and hold onto the site page and just drag and drop to your desktop. Then put them into a folder and make another copy of them and move them back to your favorite by having the IE 7 open plus your favorite and just do the drag and drop again. This may take some more time to do but it will work.

I found it! It said HP OWNER and inside was Favorites with a big star. Funny, that was the only file I didn't open. :tongue:

I made a file for them in my documents for now and also put them on my desktop.

I will un~install Earthlink and let you know what happens. Thanks so much.

I found it! It said HP OWNER and inside was Favorites with a big star. Funny, that was the only file I didn't open. :tongue:

I made a file for them in my documents for now and also put them on my desktop.

I will un~install Earthlink and let you know what happens. Thanks so much.

Yup it's the big Star! lol I thought you were in the wrong folder. Glad you found it.

No you will not loose any of your favourites. Favourites are stored linked to your web browser. Hence unistalling your web browser will result in loosing favourites.