Web Marketing Help Forum
Tony025

building your own pc

When you build your own pc do you just put a windows version cd in and boot-up or is there any programming to do before you boot windows up?

From what I have heard is, you just put the cd in and follow what it says to do.

Thats what I thought but wasn't for sure.

What kind of system are you building?

Don't know yet I was just getting more info on the windows boot-up for I did anything.

If you build one make sure you buy the best in each that you can afford. You will not regret it if you do.

If you build one make sure you buy the best in each that you can afford. You will not regret it if you do.

I already know that, I do a lot of shopping around and some specs ready before I buy. I'll probably shop for a month so I can take a look at whats out now and whats coming out.

You know what case your getting?

Probably a basic case I don't really care what it looks like as long as it puts out!

Get the anec tower case where you put the power supply to keep things quit. Has 7 bays. Put a 600 watt power supply. Get the extra USB units to put in it. Get the 7 or more USB unit for the back. 2 160 or more gig hard drives. 1 3.5 floppy. Might never use it but they sure do come in handle even if it is for that one time. 2 cd/dvd units. One should be the write on the cd/dvd kind. What kind of mother board are you getting? Lots of ram. 2meg or more video card. 2 meg or more voice card. If you play games get the game unit for it. Add extra quit fan unit. What else? You can find them for about 75 on sale. Worth it is my opinion.

Get the anec tower case where you put the power supply to keep things quit. Has 7 bays. Put a 600 watt power supply. Get the extra USB units to put in it. Get the 7 or more USB unit for the back. 2 160 or more gig hard drives. 1 3.5 floppy. Might never use it but they sure do come in handle even if it is for that one time. 2 cd/dvd units. One should be the write on the cd/dvd kind. What kind of mother board are you getting? Lots of ram. 2meg or more video card. 2 meg or more voice card. If you play games get the game unit for it. Add extra quit fan unit. What else? You can find them for about 75 on sale. Worth it is my opinion.

yeah whatever case I do get will have a lot of bays in it. USB I will have a lot cause I use them like crazy but I want install a Floppy drive I never use it. Ram will be about 4 GB with a couple of HD at least 250 GB or above. The video card will be high too cause I play a lot of extreme games. I guess a 600watt power will be enough not for sure on the power supply until I get all the hardware together. Yeah I'll have two or three CD/DVD combo's with both write capability the fastes ones I can find, quit fans for sure. As far as mother board still don't know yet, I still have to do some more shopping on that one, but it will be bad ass whatever I choose! lol

I used to have the brand name of the mother board I wanted. I have since lost that. I got a computer store I always ask. He picks out very good ones. Tells me if they have a good working order with them or if they always need to be repaired for this or that.

When buying components, you'll notice a BIG price difference between the first and second best (or second and third best) CPUs. The extra processing power is usually minimal, so it's not worth the big jump in price.

And, get lots of RAM, at least one GB these days.

I'd suggest at least 2Gb these days, everything seems to want to load and consume as much ram as possible. If you want Vista and Office 2007, then 2Gb really has to be a minimum.

Fully agree with the CPU advise, unless you're doing a lot of very processor intensive things, you'll just be idle quicker :)

Is "anec" a typo? I have done a bit of searching and am finding a lot of information on "Antec" towers. Getting ready to build a PC for Grandson and thought I'd give them a look.

Is "anec" a typo? I have done a bit of searching and am finding a lot of information on "Antec" towers. Getting ready to build a PC for Grandson and thought I'd give them a look.

Yes it is a typo. Antec is the correct spelling.

If your building your own I think it is best to go with the best that you can afford and not go the cheap route. In the long run a person will be so glad they did.

My experience is that the best you can afford is not always the best route. I originally started with high quality stuff and yes it did last for years, however I soon found that board & CPU's & memory move on far faster than I did, so I had stuff that was working well but it was too slow, however the motherboard woudl support more ram and a better CPU, BUT the market had moved on and these were no longer available, so a new board was needed so I could use a better CPU etc...

I started building with cheaper components and found that they tended to be just as good, perhaps not squeezing the last drop of power out of the components, however much cheaper and lasting just as long. I'm just about to retire a server that was built with cheap desktop parts, this has been working 24*7 for about 5 years. In my experience, if the cheaper components don't fail within the 1st few days, then they tend to run for years.

I'm also about to retire a Celeron 366 system that the kids have been using, this was built about 9 years ago and still works. This was built with standard components rather than high quality ones.

If you want the latest & greatest, then you'll have to buy well branded productsd pay the premium, if you're happy with 1 or 2 notches down in performance, then personlly I'd save the cash or double the memory you're putting in.

My experience is that the best you can afford is not always the best route. I originally started with high quality stuff and yes it did last for years, however I soon found that board & CPU's & memory move on far faster than I did, so I had stuff that was working well but it was too slow, however the motherboard woudl support more ram and a better CPU, BUT the market had moved on and these were no longer available, so a new board was needed so I could use a better CPU etc...

I started building with cheaper components and found that they tended to be just as good, perhaps not squeezing the last drop of power out of the components, however much cheaper and lasting just as long. I'm just about to retire a server that was built with cheap desktop parts, this has been working 24*7 for about 5 years. In my experience, if the cheaper components don't fail within the 1st few days, then they tend to run for years.

I'm also about to retire a Celeron 366 system that the kids have been using, this was built about 9 years ago and still works. This was built with standard components rather than high quality ones.

If you want the latest & greatest, then you'll have to buy well branded productsd pay the premium, if you're happy with 1 or 2 notches down in performance, then personlly I'd save the cash or double the memory you're putting in.

Alex I never thought of this. I take care of my equipment and hence my equipment does last a long time. Only when something breaks do I replace it. My computer is still pretty fast to others even though it is an older machine.

What kind of mother board did you buy?

The way that I will build mine is that later in the future if I want to expand or do more upgrade I can, and yes more RAM is important along with HD space. I thought about just putting in a 1 TB HD and a 250-300 GB HD. TB for Games and GB for office use. Like I said I have a lot of shopping to do before I start buying so does anybody know where to start looking?

Alex I never thought of this. I take care of my equipment and hence my equipment does last a long time. Only when something breaks do I replace it. My computer is still pretty fast to others even though it is an older machine.

What kind of mother board did you buy?

The only thing that I had to ever replace because it went bad was a fan and a HD thats it. YW how many pc's have you built so far?

If you can afford it, buy two separate hard drives and setup a script to copy your important data files from one to the other automatically.

With hard drives, it's not a question of IF they will fail, it's a question of WHEN.

The only thing that I had to ever replace because it went bad was a fan and a HD thats it. YW how many pc's have you built so far?

ONE. I have had this one since 1999/2000

I have had to replace the motherboard casue of stupid power surge through the cable. Electric storm. I even had the power surge unit.