Web Marketing Help Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NeO

Moving a community...

Oy Vey this should be fun!

Okay so here's the long story - short ;)

4 yrs ago I started an Alumni board for my old classmates (about 6 of them are members here too)

The board started out as an Invision Power Board (IPB) then switched over to phpBB after a stupid lil script kiddie crashed the site (lost about 5k posts too) So then phpBB had some security problems... and I upgraded to phpBB2 (which is the current version)

However with all the dang sploggers (spam bloggers) I'm having to delete, and ban 35 new members a day! And it's time for a move...

Not only do I have WAY more posts (around 18k now) but I want to keep everyones emails / usernames / login's etc... in tact so that I don't have to do mass emails and get everyone to sign up again and loose all of those posts / threads...

So I'm also doing one more thing in the process... I only used http://www.neo-1.com as a domain name because I really liked it... but it has nothing to do with the FHS Alumni so I bought a new domain yesterday http://www.TeamFHS.com this way I can use neo-1.com for something more geeky ;)

I've installed Dolphin (which unfortunately is a dating / interactive script) and we don't need the dating crap on there... as we're all buddies ;) not looking to date each other... it also has Orca which integrates into Dolphin...

Only problem I see with trying to make this work is that http://www.Boonex.com doesn't seem to have any free templates / mods (everything costs at a minimum of $10) I'd like to use this software as it's really cool and all web 2.0ish

If all else fails... I'll probably just buy a vbulletin license and merge my existing db into that... and put it all up at teamfhs.com

But as I'm doing this... I only want to do it once... I don't want to have to come back at the end of the year and do it all over again... so I guess I'm looking for advice?

What do you guys think?

it's a big move and I'm not looking forward to it... but it has to be done and SOON!

NeO

Do you have the mods that you can use that will help out with the spammers? Reason I ask is I heard that there are a few mods that one can install that will help fight this.

Take a look at the Katrina site. I believe one of the mods you might want is on that site. Spam is way, way, way down on it now.

That might just be the ticket... :) Thanks Doug!

Then I'll just be moving a site and not re-doing everything... I suppose I could leave up a 301 for a few months till everyone gets their new bookmarks lined up :)

NeO

Neo, i might have the mods i added to that katrina site for you on my harddrive (although i keep clearing it, so they may be long gone!)

Let me take a look, if i find them i'll email them across, is your email address easy to find? If not PM me it!

I had this same problem, the links the spammers where giving was way out there, like rape links and such. I was also deleting 25-40 account signups a day. What I did was deny access to the member list and make all the profile links not work unless there is a post from that user, it only shows the name of the newest member, no link to the profile to see the spam link. I have to approve all signups, I check their links (if any) to make a judgement on that user.

It saves on the time deleting accounts on a daily basis (so that the terrible spam links are not shown on your site), you can then get a bulk delete hack and do it all at once, in the mean time no one could see the bad spam links. That humanizer could also help, but I haven't used it yet.