Web Marketing Help Forum
bushman

Inkjet printers

What brand of inkjet printer do you use?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What brand of inkjet printer do you use?

• Epson
    • HP (Hewlett Packard)
    • Canon
    • Xerox
    • Lexmark
    • Ricoh
    • Primera
    • Other brand of inkjet...
    • Don't use inkjet.... I use laser printers!

Concerning Bushman's clogged print heads, Does anyone have any tips or tricks for clearing clogged print heads besides using the "clean print head" function. As he said, alot of times it doesn't work. Some times if I let the printer sit over night and the clog will desolve. Sometimes I have to change the cartridge of the offending color. Sometimes, I just want to throw it out the window.

It seemed everyone missed Bushman's original question about the clogged heads.

There is a handy utility you can download that will allow you to clean the cartridge heads one by one (http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml) so that will save you some ink, you just need to keep doing it over and over again, it will use cartridges though! I went through 1 & 1/2 cartridges once resurrecting an old printer from the dead.

As Yourweb suggests you could try cleaning the head using some form of alcohol based solution, (Nail varnish remover works well).

You can also get cartridge flush, sometimes these come as whole cartridges or you can inject it into the existing cartridge and then clean the head(s).

One method I use is to use alcohol and a Q-Tip. Been told that denature alcohol is better since it does not leave a film behind when it drys.

Thanks for the tip yourweb!

There is a handy utility you can download that will allow you to clean the cartridge heads one by one (http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml) so that will save you some ink' date=' you just need to keep doing it over and over again, it will use cartridges though! I went through 1 & 1/2 cartridges once resurrecting an old printer from the dead.

As Yourweb suggests you could try cleaning the head using some form of alcohol based solution, (Nail varnish remover works well).

You can also get cartridge flush, sometimes these come as whole cartridges or you can inject it into the existing cartridge and then clean the head(s).[/quote']

Those are all great suggestions... I will try using nail varnish remover, and if that doesn't work, maybe the software download. THANKS!

David :yeah:

Your welcome Bushman. Let me know if what you use works. Will help with the next person that has this problem.

There i was preaching about how good Epsons are, then i come into the office this morning and my printer is knackered! Looks like i've blown the power board. I need to dismantle it and test it with my multimeter to be sure though. :frown:

There i was preaching about how good Epsons are, then i come into the office this morning and my printer is knackered!

I've used Epson printers for years and I've always loved their print quality. Problem is the darn head cleaning... it's like they do it on purpose so you use more ink. Seems to me that the older Epsons, like the Stylus 740's (and others from that generation) were workhorses and didn't have the ink / print head limitations as the present models.

I've used Epson printers for years and I've always loved their print quality. Problem is the darn head cleaning... it's like they do it on purpose so you use more ink. Seems to me that the older Epsons, like the Stylus 740's (and others from that generation) were workhorses and didn't have the ink / print head limitations as the present models.

I think your right, i've got a Stylus 440 on my desk at home and on the ocassion its used it prints fine!

Its all about the money guys. They call these printers, throw aways.

You're right yourweb... think about it: The Epson Stylus 440/740 used to sell, I think, in the $200 to $300 range, if I'm not mistaken. However the cartridges are not that expensive... I think you can get the cartridges for like $10 CDN. OK, so you paid more for the printer, but in the long run, it ends up cheaper when you work in the cartridge price and printer reliability. I guess Epson smartened up when they realized that you couldn't kill these workhorses, so they released cheaper printers, lowered reliability, and expensive ink. Thanks Epson! We needed that like a hole in the head :frown:

David :tup:

Here's an excellent article I found on MaxPatchInk.com

There's also tips for Lexmark, HP, Epson and Canon printers.

Also: Free tools and resources related to printers and printing.

EPSON PRINTER TIPS

Epson printers have a high printing resolution (DPI = dots per inch); this means that the print head nozzles have to be manufactured much smaller than most other printer manufacturers' nozzles. The size of the actual nozzle hole is smaller than a human hair and it does not take very much for them to clog. Epson printers have a built-in print head and are prone to having ink dry in the print head nozzles, causing streaking and void areas. Over time, the print head clogs, rendering the printer useless. Just running the cleaning cycle is NOT enough!

The most common cause of clogged printheads is from infrequent printing! Use it regularly, at least once per week. If need be, put a sticky-note on your monitor to remind yourself! We recommend printing something using black text, an email or Word document, for example. And a web page with color in it (red, yellow and blue). Doing so helps keep the ink flowing through the printhead nozzles.

Another cause of clogged heads is not powering the printer down properly. When you are finished printing (for the day), use the printer's on/off switch to turn it off. This allows the printhead capping mechanism to fully engage. Using a power strip to power down does not allow the capping mechanism to activate. Thus, leaving the ink in the heads exposed to the drying effects of air.

We get lots of phone calls and email from folks about their printer's poor print output (incomplete lines/gaps, etc.) or just plain no printing at all. First we try to determine the obvious; ink in the cartridges, are they seated properly, no error messages, etc. Then we try to determine frequency of use. Most all branding/streaking or missing color issues are due to infrequent use.

Maintenance is the key!

A lot of folks just don't know how to access their printer's software utility (drivers). Hint: it's in your printer manual. ;) A quick way to access it is to click on the 'Start' button (located on the lower left of your monitor screen) and click on 'Control Panel'. From there look for 'printers' or 'printers and fax' link. Click it and look for your printer's icon. Place your mouse cursor over the icon and 'right-click' on it. Choose 'Properties' from the drop-down list. Your printer's software will come up. Look under the various tabs for cleaning or maintenance. There's lots of other settings in there like paper and color adjustment. Go ahead, explore around in there. You'll be glad you did!

Unclogging Print Heads

First, let's try eliminating banding on Epson printers.

This tip is somewhat generic, it is recommended for Epson printers but works on all the printers.

DO NOT run more than 3 back-to-back cleaning cycles, it just makes things worse!

Epson printers have 3 durations of cleaning: short, medium and long. The short cleaning cycle occurs on the 1st and 4th cleaning cycle and on every one after that, until a print is made. This short cleaning cycle can eventually damage all the nozzles. In otherwords, if you do a bunch of cleaning cycles (8 or 10) with out making a print, you may damage your printhead. After 3 cleaning cycles, print a test pattern.

Side Note: To make a test pattern, I use Microsoft's Paint program that comes installed on the computer. Click on Start, Programs (or All Programs), Accessories and choose the Paint program. Draw four separate squares about four inches each. Fill one with black, one with red, one with blue and one with yellow. Name the file something like TestPattern and save it. End Side Note.

When printing these "Test Patterns", set your printer for hi-resolution or "photo quality" printing. That will cause ALL of the nozzles to be used. If you let the printer default to "letter quality", only a few of the nozzles will even try to work. Make at least one print. It may not be perfect, but this will reset the firmware in the printer so you can get the short, medium and long cleaning cycles again. It is the medium and long cleaning cycles that may get your printer back up and running again.

If you have done 6 cleaning cycles, two groups of 3 (with test pattern in between), and the nozzles are not getting any better, give the printer a rest for at least 2 hours. This rest period will allow the small air bubbles in the ink to rise to the surface and get out of the nozzles.

After the rest period, try a few more cleaning cycles. If you are seeing the same exact nozzles missing each time, you probably have dried ink in the print head. Instead of giving up and throwing it out the window, try using our Epson cleaning solution kit. It's a much cheaper alternative to having it cleaned by a printer repair tech, which typically costs $40-$50 or more!

Note: The newer Epson printers, like the C80/C82/C84 are sensitive to too many cleaning cycles. For these printers only do 3 cleanings, then give them a 2 hour rest. If you run too many cleaning cycles, you may never get a good nozzle pattern.

Attention: If are having problems with sudden lack of inkflow after replacing one or more cartridges when using the Epson C and especially the CX all-in-one printers, we have been made aware of a design issue on these printers which may cause this problem.

Some of these Epson printers have a design flaw which causes the ink purge tube under the cleaning station to come apart during cartridge replacement. If this occurs, the printer is no longer transferring the vacuum from the purge pump to the printhead. In other words, no ink will be moved through the printhead onto the paper.

You need to look under the cleaning station and determine if the pump/vacuum tube has come off, and if so, reinstall it. Click here for pictures to identify this problem and help you resolve it.

NEVER leave your Epson printer without an installed cartridge, even an empty one, for more than half an hour. The ink will begin to gel in the built-in print head to the consistency of honey! It will require multiple head cleaning routines to clear (if it does).

The type of ink a printer requires is based on several things, among them:

-the technology the printer was built on

-the type of print head the printer has (piezioelectric like Epson's, for instance)

-the way the printer lays the ink on the paper

-the type of cartridge or ink tank used

Ink characteristics are specific to EACH printer manufacturer and within their different printer models. The inks are formulated specifically for them. They are based in part on ink viscosity (thickness), PH (acid or base), drying times, UV (lightfastness), etc.

This is why we offer only products that are produced as close to the OEM specifications as the law allows. They are guaranteed to perform to your satisfaction!

Common Problems with New and Compatible Epson Cartridges

Sometimes a brand new cartridge from Epson or one of our compatibles may appear to not be working properly. There are usually three (3) reasons for this.

1) There may not be a pool of ink at the exit port (the pre-chamber) that the built-in print head can suck from. The solution to this is the "Centrifugal Force" tip below.

Centrifical Force Method: Hold the ink tank (cartridge) firmly with your fingers (with the ink outlet hole pointed towards the ground) and snap it downward several times, like shaking a thermometer down. Be sure to wrap the ink cartridge in a paper towel before doing the above.

2) The vent grooves to one or more chambers (on color tanks) may be blocked by adhesive. The adhesive from the yellow tear away seal or the name plate sticker may have blocked up a vent groove. If air can't get into the cartridge, the ink will not flow. Use your finger nail to scrape any residual adhesive (stickness) from where the yellow strip was.

3) Printer stops printing after a few pages (or many) have printed. *After refilling your cartridge your printer "thinks" the "original" cartridge is empty. Simply unplug the printer and wait a couple of minutes before plugging it in again. This Should "clear" the memory so the printer recognizes your refilled cartridge as "full".

There is one more potential problem: a clogged, or nearly so, print head! Don't despair, we have the quick and inexpensive solution! Click for info on Epson Printhead Cleaning Solution Kit.

Software Utility for Epson Stylus Printers

SSC Service Utility allows you to do many pretty amazing things with your Epson printer. I came across this no-cost program a while back but wanted to download and test it on one of our printers ( Epson 980). I did and I now want you Epson printer owners to check it out. There is a user's forum at the site listed below. Please use it before and after you try this software. I will not answer questions regarding the SSC Service Utility. - Phil

This software allows you to reset the smart chips on the most popular Epson printers. It offers additional features for more direct control of printer maintenance functions. It has a number of features that the stock Epson utility doesn't have such as cleaning black or color independently. I hate to waste the color ink when it's only the black that needs cleaning (see # 4 below). It also has a feature to reset CSIC ink counter chip found on newer cartridges. That's great for folks who refill their cartridges.

1) Work directly with CSIC in Epson Stylus printers cartridges (this allows you to reset CSIC counters or disable CSIC).

2) Freeze internal ink counters.

3) Reset internal ink counters even with empty cartridges.

4) Separate cleaning of color and black heads, powerful cleaning mode.

5) Hot swapping of cartridges supported.

6) Resetting of protection counter (even when it reads it is already full).

7) Over 50 different Epson printers supported (check site for your printer model).

As of this posting, this software works under Windows 95/98/ME/2K2/XP with both the LPT and USB printers. Check it out: SSC Service Utility

You're right yourweb... think about it: The Epson Stylus 440/740 used to sell' date=' I think, in the $200 to $300 range, if I'm not mistaken. However the cartridges are not that expensive... I think you can get the cartridges for like $10 CDN. OK, so you paid more for the printer, but in the long run, it ends up cheaper when you work in the cartridge price and printer reliability. I guess Epson smartened up when they realized that you couldn't kill these workhorses, so they released cheaper printers, lowered reliability, and expensive ink. Thanks Epson! We needed that like a hole in the head :frown:

David :tup:[/quote']

You can pick up these printers at yard sales. Probably on ebay also. Find a good working one and your set. You can always have more than one printer connected to your setup.

I currently have two HP Inkjets and one HP color LaserJet in my office and have very little problems with any of them. In fact I'm looking at getting an HP Plotter in the future.

As far as using off brand Ink I tried it once up on a time and will never do it again unless someone can point me in the direction of a proven product. It's just not worth the risk of a bad print job to me. I do professional business services for other business and must have a quaility product EVERY TIME to supply my clients.

I've read some good reviews on other brands of printers but it's my experience that you're better off finding an HP product that meets your needs.

Just my opinion.

I have an HP LaserJet 2100 networked B&W laser printer at the office (with PostScript Level 2)...works like a charm, never any problems. I've given up on the inkjets for now. I just purchased (for home) the Samsung ML-2510 laser printer. It was on sale at "Bureau en Gros" (for us French Quebecers, Staples for the rest of Canada) for $99.00 CDN. Best thing is, it works with Windows AND Macintosh computers, of which I have both at home.

At the office, I have a Minolta laser printer, one of those inexpensive ones that sells for about $200 CDN (but costs $600 to refill with new toner). When I run out of toner, I'll just scrap the machine and buy a new one for $200.

At the office, I have a Minolta laser printer, one of those inexpensive ones that sells for about $200 CDN (but costs $600 to refill with new toner). When I run out of toner, I'll just scrap the machine and buy a new one for $200.

I can not believe that a product like this would make such a big mistake like this. Better to throw away and buy new.

Any ribbon type of printer will dry up. I used to use this type of printer for a long time and never had a ribbon dry out on me.

I use HP laser jet printer. HP is best when it comes to home and small office printing. I find the product is worth buying and its value for money. You can also get the cartridge refilled atleast 3 times before you through it out. So HP works for me