Web Marketing Help Forum
bushman

Inkjet printers

What brand of inkjet printer do you use?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What brand of inkjet printer do you use?

• Epson
    • HP (Hewlett Packard)
    • Canon
    • Xerox
    • Lexmark
    • Ricoh
    • Primera
    • Other brand of inkjet...
    • Don't use inkjet.... I use laser printers!

I've got two inkjet printers at home, both from Epson. One is the Epson Stylus Color 777i, the other is the Epson Stylus Color CX4600. Both are relatively good printers, always giving great print quality. My only beef with Epson printers is the need to repeatedly clean the heads to get that good quality printout. Of course, printer manufacturers design these things in a way that, in order to clean the heads, you've got to use up ink, and in the process, you'll need to buy ink faster.

I'm really not enjoying the fact that my Epson CX4600, which is a little over two years old, is already scrap. The ink heads seem to be clogged, and no amount of head cleaning will work, even with new original ink cartridges.

Just wondering what printers everyone else here uses. Post your printer model here, along with your pros and cons for using that specific model.

Guest Desert Rose 702

We have a HP PSC 1500 All in One that does a pretty good job. Speed of printing and clarity is fine. The one thing I find annoying is that if the printer is turned off, as soon as we turn it on, it prints out a cartridge alignment sheet. I used to turn my printer off every night and every morning, it would print that same damn sheet. Wasted a LOT of ink. Don't know how to stop this action so I just never turn it off anymore. :tongue:

I only use it for printing 8-1/2 x 11 sheets of paper and never get into other aspects of what it can do. The printer cartridges are not expensive so we are satisfied with this model.

The one thing I find annoying is that if the printer is turned off, as soon as we turn it on, it prints out a cartridge alignment sheet. I used to turn my printer off every night and every morning, it would print that same damn sheet. Wasted a LOT of ink.

They always find a way for you to use more ink, don't they?

Guest Desert Rose 702

Our prior printer was a Lexmark and those cartridges ran from $28 on sale to $32 for the black ink and $4 or $5 more on the colored ink. The HP cartridges on this printer run about $18-19 black and $22-25 colored ink. :)

Do you purchase the original manufacturer's cartridges? Or third-party remanufactured / refill / knockoff cartridges?

Guest Desert Rose 702
Do you purchase the original manufacturer's cartridges? Or third-party remanufactured / refill / knockoff cartridges?

With the HP printer, only buy the mfrs cartridges. With the Lexmark, we only tried a refill once. Bought them in the local flea market and it didn't last as long as the mfrs cartridges so we never did it again. We had the Lexmark for about 5 years and replaced it because it was so slow and very noisy. It's still usable though and we keep it in the laundry room for "emergencies".......:tongue:

We run about 10 inkjets and found that the epson's were the best buy. We buy generic cartridges for them at about $8.00 for a color and $6.00 for black. We do a lot of printing so a printer will only last us about a year but the money we save on ink by using generic cartridges makes it worth it. Also, running a real epson cartridge in the printer occaisonally helps to clean the print heads. Right now we have mostly epson stylus C88+ printers and one Epson Stylus Photo R300 I like to use for printing on CD's.

• Like 1

What brand generic cartridges do you use?

We run about 10 inkjets and found that the epson's were the best buy. We buy generic cartridges for them at about $8.00 for a color and $6.00 for black. We do a lot of printing so a printer will only last us about a year but the money we save on ink by using generic cartridges makes it worth it. Also, running a real epson cartridge in the printer occaisonally helps to clean the print heads. Right now we have mostly epson stylus C88+ printers and one Epson Stylus Photo R300 I like to use for printing on CD's.

Wow, you guys seem to get inexpensive ink cartridges. For the Epson CX4600, the original cartridges run in the $30 - $38 CDN range. The knock-off cartridges run in the $20 - $28 CDN range. I'd love to get $10 cartridges... then again, I'd need to buy four of them (cyan, magenta, yellow and black).

I tried refilling cartridges myself with bottles of ink and a special refill syringe, but needless to say, it got messy, especially since I had to drill a hole at the top of each cartridge.

Guest Desert Rose 702
Wow' date=' you guys seem to get inexpensive ink cartridges. For the Epson CX4600, the original cartridges run in the $30 - $38 CDN range. The knock-off cartridges run in the $20 - $28 CDN range. I'd love to get $10 cartridges... then again, I'd need to buy four of them (cyan, magenta, yellow and black).

I tried refilling cartridges myself with bottles of ink and a special refill syringe, but needless to say, it got messy, especially since I had to drill a hole at the top of each cartridge.[/quote']

The first time we bought a printer was in 1998 as part of my first computer package and I knew nothing about price of cartridges (or much of anything else) and just factored them in as part of doing business. This time, Tony and I check out the cartridge prices as well as what printers were on sale as well as some other points. This seemed like the best deal and there are no major problems (so far). ;)

They are easy to get. Always in stock at Target and even Wal-Mart. And we make sure to always have an extra one on hand because inevitably the ink runs dry at the most inopportune time. That reminds me - the Lexmark had an indicator showing the ink level but if the HP has one, it is not shown conveniently. Now I have to check this out.

I have a model very close to Terri's the PH PSC 2210 all in one and I've had to replace the cartridges about 3 times... if you go to staples they give you 3 or 4$ off your purchase price per cartridge...

Although I did read a disturbing article that there is a page counter in the hardware and once it hits a certain number... the only way to fix the printer is to buy a new one! (This from an ex-HP employee) that sucks...

NeO

I've got an onld Epson Stylus 440 at home.

In the office we've got a Epson R300 and a CX3850.

And a brother MFC 6000 something or other.

Cartridges are pretty hefty over in the States?

I buy mine (compatible cartridges) at trade prices but i pay around

I suspect a page counter too. This is my second Epson Stylus Photo R300 printer. The first one began giveing me a message that there are parts inside of my printer nearing the end of their serviceabel life and I needed to have the printer serviced. After about two weeks I got the message that parts inside of my printer had reached the end of their serviceable life and needed to be replaced and the printer stopped working. I know a worn printer when I use one and this printer was in good shape. I either had to take it to an Epson Service Center in another state or buy another one. The service would have cost almost as much as a new printer. So, since this is my personal printer, I try to use it as little as possible now. This also happend to one of our Epson Stylus C86 printers.

II either had to take it to an Epson Service Center in another state or buy another one. The service would have cost almost as much as a new printer.

I looked into getting my CX4600 serviced, to get new heads installed... I was suggested by the Epson dealer to not even bother with the repair. The price of the repair would pass the price of buying a new Epson printer.

The Epson printers that came out in the pass few years now have microchips on the ink cartridges. They basically pass on information to the printer/computer of the ink levels remaining in the cartridge. When mine tells me that the ink is empty, there's usually a good 5 to 10% of ink still in the cartridge. I use a chip resetter to reset the microchip, put the cartridge back in the printer, and run it until it's really empty.

Guest Desert Rose 702
I have a model very close to Terri's the PH PSC 2210 all in one and I've had to replace the cartridges about 3 times... if you go to staples they give you 3 or 4$ off your purchase price per cartridge...

Although I did read a disturbing article that there is a page counter in the hardware and once it hits a certain number... the only way to fix the printer is to buy a new one! (This from an ex-HP employee) that sucks...

NeO

That's taking planned obsolescence to the max - ARGH!

You got this right Terrie. This sort of explains why I never updated my printer yet. The one I have still works, does the job I want but the ink cost a lot more than others now. I see why.

Concerning Bushman's clogged print heads, Does anyone have any tips or tricks for clearing clogged print heads besides using the "clean print head" function. As he said, alot of times it doesn't work. Some times if I let the printer sit over night and the clog will desolve. Sometimes I have to change the cartridge of the offending color. Sometimes, I just want to throw it out the window.

One method I use is to use alcohol and a Q-Tip. Been told that denature alcohol is better since it does not leave a film behind when it drys.