Web Marketing Help Forum
Bee

firewall and anti virus protection

My ISP came with a firewall and anti virus protection, plus my new computer came with Norton. I am unable to see video's on YouTube and hear music on MySpace and this is probably my problem. How cam I solve this, but still have protection? Thanks

• Like 1

I believe there is an area in those programs where you can add those sites so that they just by pass them.

I could only find that for my pop ups. Not sure where to look. Do you have any problem like that and what type of protection do you have? I am going to change my ISP soon and that will eliminate the firewall. Thank you :)

First things first...

Which bit of anti-virus software do you want to use? Your ISP's or your default norton on your machine?

You should only run one!

Once you figure that out... delete the other from your hard drive and then go to youtube and tell me what error message your seeing ;)

NeO

First things first...

Which bit of anti-virus software do you want to use? Your ISP's or your default norton on your machine?

You should only run one!

Once you figure that out... delete the other from your hard drive and then go to youtube and tell me what error message your seeing ;)

NeO

NeO is right only run one instead of two. I use ZoneAlarm for my firewall which is free and AVG7 for my anti-virus software which is free too. They are both very good softwares and a lot of people on TWT uses them. I also have a myspace account and I do get the same problems but my firewall doesn't have anything to do with me viewing the videos my errors was JavaScript was turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash Player was installed.

I have Earthlink dial up and it comes with a Virus blocker,pop up blocker,scam blocker,spam blocker and firewall. Can only remove the Virus and pop up blocker.

I can remove the Norton, but for more then a month it has been telling me that another computer is attacking me. That happens every few minutes and continues as long as I am on my computer.

When I am on MySpace the video's load, but are frozen in place and the music I can hear, but it just seems to play for a second and skips.

Should I still take the chance and remove Norton? I really appreciate your help. Thanks

I have Earthlink dial up and it comes with a Virus blocker' date='pop up blocker,scam blocker,spam blocker and firewall. Can only remove the Virus and pop up blocker.

I can remove the Norton, but for more then a month it has been telling me that another computer is attacking me. That happens every few minutes and continues as long as I am on my computer.

When I am on MySpace the video's load, but are frozen in place and the music I can hear, but it just seems to play for a second and skips.

Should I still take the chance and remove Norton? I really appreciate your help. Thanks[/quote']

Sounds serious. What type of virus program do you have on your computer?

Run that and do what it says. Next download avg and run that and do what it says. You will be surprised on how many things this software will find. It will not find all but probably what your looking for. Make sure you download all of the updates for avg before you run it. Run the update program first. Might even have to reboot your system once done. Also make sure you are up todate with your windows. Down load all the updates it says to. Reboot system after you are done.

I have Norton Anti Virus. Can you send me the link th AVG and what will it do for me? I am nervous about all this!:eek:

I have Norton Anti Virus. Can you send me the link th AVG and what will it do for me? I am nervous about all this!:eek:

Try this place

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

They have free version and a paid version.

I use norton for just email scans and the avg for the rest of my computer. I got it so that the avg is on a schedule only. Norton schedule has been turned off.

Are you up to date with your windows?

I am up to date with Windows. I ran my Norton scan and everything checked out fine, however I have been attacked eight times this morning.

I went to the link you gave me and it will take five hours to download. I have dial up and that is the problem.

I am up to date with Windows. I ran my Norton scan and everything checked out fine' date=' however I have been attacked eight times this morning.

I went to the link you gave me and it will take five hours to download. I have dial up and that is the problem.[/quote']

Ahhh bummer. You just might have to see if you can download that during the night. Did you see if they had a zip file for that?

Hold on there back off on the windows updates you will have more problems with your pc when you keep windows updated. I have about 15 pc 's that I keep running and I never update windows because I did once and my pc crashed. Since I stopped updating windows all the pc has never crashed. As long as you have a good firewall and anti-virus softwares that you keep updated you will be fine. I covered this topic once before on another thread here at TWT. I c getting just AVG7 for your anti-virus and ZoneAlarm for your firewall. 2 weeks ago I got called out to fix a pc and when I checked it out it had so many windows updates and I uninstall all of them and the pc worked perfect and to this day the pc stills works perfect. The only thing you may want to do is update hardware, like your graphic card. I had to do mine because I coudn't view or play much games.

I have Earthlink dial up and it comes with a Virus blocker' date='pop up blocker,scam blocker,spam blocker and firewall. Can only remove the Virus and pop up blocker.

Should I still take the chance and remove Norton? I really appreciate your help. Thanks[/quote']

I see you have Earthlink thank God you don't have AOL! At work we have some pc's that uses AOL but are getting away from it because it keeps messing up our pc's. There was a thread on here and a lot of people hated AOL. Hey if you want to speed up your download with dial up go here and install the DAP http://www.speedbit.com/# Even if you don't finish the download you can come back later and start where you left off.

Try this place

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

They have free version and a paid version.

I use norton for just email scans and the avg for the rest of my computer. I got it so that the avg is on a schedule only. Norton schedule has been turned off.

Are you up to date with your windows?

You should know better than to update your windows. I already started a thread about updates from Microsoft. They put stuff in it to screw with your pc. I would bet thats one reason why Bee is having problems. I never ever update Windows on all my pc's plus the ones I work on. If I do start the updates I might as well go a head and reboot it because it will be so messed up with everything.

Actually, I have not updated Windows. I just did IE7 and do my Norton when prompted. Still waiting for the right time to download AVG and will also do DAP, but it also will take two hours, so have to do it in the wee hours of the morning. I thought the problem with my video's and music was caused by the dial up, but Earthlink said it may be the firewall and virus protection. I am starting my page on MySpace and want to ad music. Thanks:)

You should know better than to update your windows. I already started a thread about updates from Microsoft. They put stuff in it to screw with your pc. I would bet thats one reason why Bee is having problems. I never ever update Windows on all my pc's plus the ones I work on. If I do start the updates I might as well go a head and reboot it because it will be so messed up with everything.

Tony I update my computer all the time and never have any problems with it. It is when I don't update that I get problems. Maybe we both have ghost type of machines. Who knows. The pros and cons.

Tony I update my computer all the time and never have any problems with it. It is when I don't update that I get problems. Maybe we both have ghost type of machines. Who knows. The pros and cons.

True, but I keep up and running around 15 pc's and 1 Server and I don't update because it messes them up. Also, when I get called out to other people houses to fix their pc's, the first thing I look at is the updates cause I know when a virus or spyware messes with your pc. So after marking out virus and spyware I uninstall the windows updates and everything is back to normal! I never understood this...The pc's covers all different brands.

True, but I keep up and running around 15 pc's and 1 Server and I don't update because it messes them up. Also, when I get called out to other people houses to fix their pc's, the first thing I look at is the updates cause I know when a virus or spyware messes with your pc. So after marking out virus and spyware I uninstall the windows updates and everything is back to normal! I never understood this...The pc's covers all different brands.

This is funny to hear. But it is true. When someone says a pc to me I just assume pc in general. Never even think about the different types. I don't have one brand. My is made of different parts from different companies.

This is funny to hear. But it is true. When someone says a pc to me I just assume pc in general. Never even think about the different types. I don't have one brand. My is made of different parts from different companies.

Yeah I forgot about custom made pc's, haven't gotten into it yet but I am getting ready to build my first one. A super computer well until the next year when someone comes out with a better one!

Yeah I forgot about custom made pc's, haven't gotten into it yet but I am getting ready to build my first one. A super computer well until the next year when someone comes out with a better one!

I have had mine for about 5 years now and it is better than some that come on the market. I think unless you can get a good buy on a name brand one, building your own is the only way to go. I am building a new one now. Takes more time and less money to build these but if you put in say 1000 into you can get some pretty good builds.

Next year? You mean next month, right?

I'm running a custom dual xeon with 4GB of RAM right now. At home, I've got a machine with 4x10000 RPM SCSI drives and a P4. Each suits exactly what I want to do and that's the beauty of custom builds.

As for the windows updates, when one of the PC's around here has a problem, we start by looking which updates we can install. We've only got about 50 right now, so not all that many, but problems pop up if we don't keep the updates installed.

Brian.

Next year? You mean next month' date=' right?

I'm running a custom dual xeon with 4GB of RAM right now. At home, I've got a machine with 4x10000 RPM SCSI drives and a P4. Each suits exactly what I want to do and that's the beauty of custom builds.

As for the windows updates, when one of the PC's around here has a problem, we start by looking which updates we can install. We've only got about 50 right now, so not all that many, but problems pop up if we don't keep the updates installed.

Brian.[/quote']

I don't know why the windows updates don't work right on any of my pc's or the ones I keep running.

I assume you have checked all your machines for virus and such? What brand of computers do you have?

Yes I keep my pc checked all the time for virus and spyware once a week. I have 5 Dell's, 1 Gateway, 5 HP's, 1 Acers and 1 Dell Server, I think that covers them not including my customers that I work on. For anti-virus softwares I use AVG 7 and Norton, firewalls is ZoneAlarm, Spyware protection would be SuperAntiSpware and Norton and yes I keep them updated to, but my pc run perfect without any windows updates, well I do use Windows XP Basic with service pack 2 on a few of those pc and the rest are Windows XP with no service pack or Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2. The only reason I installed service pack 2 was to have the new IE 7 explorer.

Some of those makers add their own software to the system. Gateway put there brand of software on the system and if you wanted to update it you had to do it through the store. If this is still the case I don't know, when I found this out I made mine. Any machine with AOL on it had a different way of doing things. I am sure there are others that might still do this.

As for my system, as long as I keep it updated I don't have any problems.