Web Marketing Help Forum
Guest Desert Rose 702

On or Off? Do You Turn Off Your Computer at Night?

Guest Desert Rose 702

Wow! This question has gotten so many great posts. Thanks everyone! I turn my computer off each night - as does Tony. I also do maintenance every couple of days and defrag weekly since I do a LOT of research on different topics and am on so many different websites. ;)

The number one thing is to keep up your maintenance on your pc. Don't do like my Boss does and go for months and months without ever doing a maintenance, then he calls me up and says my pc is messed up and it takes me the whole day to work on it.

Wow... that's truly a brave man to be online and not have the latest holes... I mean patches... from the boys in Redmond.

Brian.

My pc is fine without the updates, as soon as I do an update from Microsoft thats when my pc messes up thats why I never do any. I have a great firewall and anti-virus and spyware protection and thats all I need because I know where I go online and I know where to stay way from. I've been doing this ever since Microsoft came out with the Windows updates and all of my pc are fine. Microsoft puts crap into your pc that either you have to buy another software to take it off or just reboot the whole system from scratch.

My pc is fine without the updates, as soon as I do an update from Microsoft thats when my pc messes up thats why I never do any. I have a great firewall and anti-virus and spyware protection and thats all I need because I know where I go online and I know where to stay way from. I've been doing this ever since Microsoft came out with the Windows updates and all of my pc are fine. Microsoft puts crap into your pc that either you have to buy another software to take it off or just reboot the whole system from scratch.

I agree with Tony as long as your security systems are in place you are safe to leave the PC on. I have been leaving my PC on for the last 3 years without any hassles but considreing the amount of Photoshop & Dreaweaver work I do, it does need a kick in the guts to reset the memory as Windows is crap for RAM management. I would also suggest a UPS if you are going to leave it on.

I agree with Tony as long as your security systems are in place you are safe to leave the PC on. I have been leaving my PC on for the last 3 years without any hassles but considreing the amount of Photoshop & Dreaweaver work I do, it does need a kick in the guts to reset the memory as Windows is crap for RAM management. I would also suggest a UPS if you are going to leave it on.

As an added tip, make sure the UPS is big enough to handle your system (don't skimp) and test the batteries monthly. I've seen those issues pop up on occasion, as the computer actually runs from the batteries while they charge. Too much equipment on the UPS will actully cause you to have to shut the machine off every so often so the battery can get caught up.

Brian.

As an added tip' date=' make sure the UPS is big enough to handle your system (don't skimp) and test the batteries monthly. I've seen those issues pop up on occasion, as the computer actually runs from the batteries while they charge. Too much equipment on the UPS will actully cause you to have to shut the machine off every so often so the battery can get caught up.

Brian.[/quote']

Can you refresh my memory and tell me what UPS is?:confused:

Batter backup easier to understand? UPS = Uninterruptible Power Supply.

Brian.

Oh ok! I never call it UPS, I just call it battery backups...I have 2-3 of those.

Life of your laptop/pc is calculated in hours. If you are using in the night then i suggest you to hibernate, this way you will not waste much time rebooting the computer and when you start you have all your files open that you were working on last night. i always hibernate my laptop when i dont use it.

my computer is mostly ON most of the time.At night i keep it on as i have free downloading time from 10pm to 8am. so i keep it on that time. at day time too its on mostly. so you can say my pc is 24hrs working

On, all day everyday and night, I too have a few UPSs one for each with exception of the laptops, they are on occasionally and are not on enough to worry about but my Mac and PC Desktop are always on.

I prefer hibernating the computer when i am not working. If you keep it on all the night then you will burn out the life of the computer. Also lots of power is wasted for nothing. When i turn it on again then i have all the files ready for me to start my work. It takes less time for booting.

I used to leave mine on but now that im not on the computer so much I tend to turn it off when I am not using it.

I don't know the science behind which is better, but the reliability with modern pc's has come so far I am not sure that it makes a whole lot of a difference either way. I have not turned my computer off for some years now.

The only time my computer is off is if it has crashed.