Web Marketing Help Forum
Guest Desert Rose 702

On or Off? Do You Turn Off Your Computer at Night?

Guest Desert Rose 702

Which is better for the life of your computer? I have read theories for both turning it off at night as well as leaving it on. Or does it not matter? ;)

At home I leave them off and at work I leave them on. Most of the time the fans can go out if always running, but over a few years of being always on.

I usually turn the computers (work/home) off.

Sometimes might stay on a couple days.

I don't think the "on of off " practices greatly affect the life

of the computer. Some parts may wear out faster if left on

and/or turned on and off a lot.

~Roland

Depends on how much you use your compter. If you use it a lot you might want to leave on. Some people don't sleep that well and turning on and off will ware out a hard drive, monitor or ???

It really depends on the user. What do you like?

No option, turn it off if you are not going to use it again that day!

Not only will you save the cost of the electricity, but you will stop hackers etc using your PC to send spam e mails. your PC should also last longer although there is a school of thought which says the hard disk can suffer.

There is also less risk of a fire!

I've been leaving mine on ever since I read somewhere that usually the blue screen of death appears when you turn it back on.

I've been leaving mine on ever since I read somewhere that usually the blue screen of death appears when you turn it back on.

Yes it does. i have never heard it called that before. Is there any reason?

(By the way I assume you mean "windows is starting" blue?)

Your electric bill must be high.

I turn mine off every night. I'm not going to use it in the night and it doesn't take long to boot up when I next need to use it. Plus, it saves on electricity, reduces the risk of fire and component failure.

i turn mine off when i remember. steve almost always turns his off. he'll turn mine off if he uses it at night.

You mean you can turn these things off? When did they add that option? I suppose next you'll tell me that I can disconnect from the Internet when I want to as well... but I'll never believe that one.

Brian.

off - it is safer from hackers for the computer to be off.

***Nailed it!***

If your not on your computer and can't see what's going on... why the heck would you leave it on?

NeO

I was told by a guy I know who manages the computers & servers in the network at the place he works for (he knows what he's talking about, it's his job) that it is normally best to leave your computer on. He said almost every time a hard drive craps out it is when it is booting up.

I turn my laptop off at night but leave it on all the time during the day. I figured since laptops tend to get hotter I should do that. My friend said that's not really a bad thing to do with a laptop because of the heat. I guess it's sort of a toss-up on laptops, but he said desktops will generally last longer if you leave them on.

I was told by a guy I know who manages the computers & servers in the network at the place he works for (he knows what he's talking about' date=' it's his job) that it is normally best to leave your computer on. He said almost every time a hard drive craps out it is when it is booting up.

I turn my laptop off at night but leave it on all the time during the day. I figured since laptops tend to get hotter I should do that. My friend said that's not really a bad thing to do with a laptop because of the heat. I guess it's sort of a toss-up on laptops, but he said desktops will generally last longer if you leave them on.[/quote']

I've never heard of a (hard drive craps out it is when it is booting up) before, as in having to buy a new one. I've been around PC for 15 years and never had to replace a HD because it went out booting up although the question is what last the longest as in keeping your pc on all the time results in Fans going out or how long will the Motherboard last or the HD or the CD & DVD drives. I guess it all depends on how you use them as in a Game player versus a office user.

I could be wrong about the hard drive part. He might have said another part, it's been a while since I had that conversation. lol SOME part or other tends to mainly crap out while booting up anyway, I know I got that much right anyway. lol

Last time I turned off my wife's PC, it never booted again. Seems that the hard drive got a surge as it was turning on (gee, that sounds sort of like what Debbie said). In any case, we don't turn ours off much. Then again, I run Linux, so I reboot every 12 months regardless if I need to or not.

Brian.

Last time I turned off my wife's PC' date=' it never booted again. Seems that the hard drive got a surge as it was turning on (gee, that sounds sort of like what Debbie said). In any case, we don't turn ours off much. Then again, I run Linux, so I reboot every 12 months regardless if I need to or not.

Brian.[/quote']

Thats wierd! Why would you reboot every 12 months if you didn't need to? Seems like Linux always more problems than Windows. I don't know I have never used or seen Linux before> Why would people use Linux instead of Windows?

Try getting a windows machine to run 12 months without a reboot... that's part of why I use Linux. It's also very nice developing on a similar platform to what my sites will be hosted on. I can set the entire dynamic site up on my PC for developing.

Brian.

Try getting a windows machine to run 12 months without a reboot... that's part of why I use Linux. It's also very nice developing on a similar platform to what my sites will be hosted on. I can set the entire dynamic site up on my PC for developing.

Brian.

I do have a few windows pc that I can go without having to do a reboot in a 12 months period or longer. I keep up my maintenance on them and thats why they never crash on me.

Really? You don't ever install windows updates? Wow... brave man. Seems like those would force you to reboot at least once per month. Several of our Linux servers rebooted last about 5 or 6 months ago. My Linux workstation got rebooted during a power outage 2 months ago (after a graceful shutdown thanks to my UPS), but that's about it.

Brian.

Really? You don't ever install windows updates? Wow... brave man. Seems like those would force you to reboot at least once per month. Several of our Linux servers rebooted last about 5 or 6 months ago. My Linux workstation got rebooted during a power outage 2 months ago (after a graceful shutdown thanks to my UPS)' date=' but that's about it.

Brian.[/quote']

I never ever install windows updates. I notice in the past that when I did do the windows updates that my pc crashed all the time so I stopped and they haven't crashed since then!

Wow... that's truly a brave man to be online and not have the latest holes... I mean patches... from the boys in Redmond.

Brian.

The BSoD (Blue Screen of Death) can be caused by a variety of things, but they all have one thing in common - MICROSOFT!

However, there is another face of death emerging on the scene - the Red Screen of Death, also associated with Microsoft, but more specifically with Vista.

BSoD is not always a HD problem, but can also be hardware in general, incompatible DLL files, corrupt memory, bad device drivers and more. Actually a hard-drive error can cause a BSoD, but more importantly an un-checked/correct BSoD can be the true death of a HD.

Turn that computer off ever-so-often, perform disk cleanups, defrag, dump temp files, and other preventive maintenance will avoid BSoD ..... leaving it on without resetting, allowing files to calibrate, etc. will only lead to inevitable BSoD IMO - not prevent them. Hell, even pubic pay phones are susceptible to BSoD:

Blue_Screen_Phone.jpg

Of course, no doubt bushman has a whole other option .... BUY A MAC?