Web Marketing Help Forum
JASPER

Slow Computer!

Mine is slow running' date=' but not in startup / shutdown. Dual Hyperthreaded Xeon 2.66's with 4GB of RAM. I think I must have a setting wrong somewhere... slow under both ubuntu and XP. :frown:

Brian.[/quote']

Can't believe your pc is running slow! I would check for spyware with this software SUPERAntiSpyware-Free-Edition How big is your HD? (I'm guessing 80GB-120GB) I know you have your own spyware software but download the one I just gave you the link and do a complete scan anyways. Also, what programs are you running that is slowing down your pc? Even though your pc starts up and shuts down fine you may still have other programs running in the background. I know you will have two which is virus and some kind of spyware protection. just check out your msconfig in start/run/startup and see what is running. Also, defragment your HD a few times back to back thats helps a lot too.

I thought of defragmenting but think Brian would have already done this anyway with his knowledge.

I thought of defragmenting but think Brian would have already done this anyway with his knowledge.

Some people does but they only do it once, when I run my defrag, I run it 3-4 times back to back. I also compress my HD that helps a lot too. More than likely he has a few software that takes a lot of RAM to run them. Mine are Photoshop CS2 and Macromedia (DW 8, FW 8, Flash 8).Brian may have like 4-5 programs running at the same time too, not including what is running in the background like virus, firewall, spyware protection. I run about 3 programs not including what is running in the background.

Wow... lots of speculation about what I run. Nice.

Anyway... I went into Bios and turned off hyperthreading. That seems to have fixed the performance issues. It's much more what I expected under both OS'es now just through that little change. I guess I'll stick with Dual Xeons and forget about running 4 threads.

Brian.

Wow... lots of speculation about what I run. Nice.

Anyway... I went into Bios and turned off hyperthreading. That seems to have fixed the performance issues. It's much more what I expected under both OS'es now just through that little change. I guess I'll stick with Dual Xeons and forget about running 4 threads.

Brian.

I didn't know you can turn off hyperthreading! I don't have that on my pc but you shouldn't have to turn it off though. I still say you have another problem.

I've tried all the different anti-spyware programs. Nothing there. When I was doing things like selecting a message in Thunderbird, one of the 4 CPU threads was going to 100% for a few seconds. Now that I turned off hyperthreading, it runs just fine with minimal (2% - 4%) of one CPU being used.

I'd also say that since ubuntu and windows both had problems on that box, it's more of a hardware than a software issue.

Brian.

I've tried all the different anti-spyware programs. Nothing there. When I was doing things like selecting a message in Thunderbird' date=' one of the 4 CPU threads was going to 100% for a few seconds. Now that I turned off hyperthreading, it runs just fine with minimal (2% - 4%) of one CPU being used.

I'd also say that since ubuntu and windows both had problems on that box, it's more of a hardware than a software issue.

Brian.[/quote']

Maybe it is Hardware. What is the point of having hyperthreading if you can't use it? lol..Thats computers for you..They really do have a mind of their own.

You have done almost everything as you decribed above to fix the speed problem of your computer. You didnt tell which operating system you are using. If you are using windows XP or vista then i recommend you to upgrade your RAM to 1 GB. This will speed up your computer.

Windows XP. I upgraded to 512Mb and was thinking of 1GB actually but it is all running fime now so i will leave it alone.

upgrade the system RAM and remove all non -essential items from the startup. This would speed up your computer. Also try disk defragementation. This will help you speed up the computer.