Web Marketing Help Forum
JASPER

Slow Computer!

Can anyone help.

My computer is taking longer and longer to boot up from cold and longer and longer to shutdown at the end of the day. It takes at least two - three minutes and took 30 secs when new.

I have used Registry Mechanic (PC Tools Software) and fixed the problems it found. I have ran AVG anti Virus and it found one nasty which I deleted, and I have ran SuperAntispy and AdAware and found two Trojans which I removed. I also remove all temporary internet files, cookies and history.

As far as I know I have a clean computer which runs perfectly once it has "booted up".

I have 512MB Ram & a Pentium 4 processor.

The only thing I can think of is I need to limit the number of applications that start up, but I dont have that many anyway.

I would like to have it confirmed that I do not have any nasties on my system. I have even considerd using system restore but I dont want to lose my new downloaded programs, but I could always download them again if this would cure the problem.

I'd reccommend taking a look at how many programs you have start-up with your computer. If you see a large number of icons on the right bottom of your screen, that is often a sign that you are starting up a number of programs when your computer starts -- and wasting resources.

Go to Start-Programs-Start-up and see if you have any programs listed that you don't want to run everytime you start windows. Then right-click on the icons on the right-bottom of your computer and see if you have any running that you don't want. If so, have them not load-up with the computer's start-up.

I'd reccommend taking a look at how many programs you have start-up with your computer. If you see a large number of icons on the right bottom of your screen' date=' that is often a sign that you are starting up a number of programs when your computer starts -- and wasting resources.

Go to Start-Programs-Start-up and see if you have any programs listed that you don't want to run everytime you start windows. Then right-click on the icons on the right-bottom of your computer and see if you have any running that you don't want. If so, have them not load-up with the computer's start-up.[/quote']

I only have a few in the bottom right in the task bar:

Java2 Platform (whatever that is); Norton Anivirus; AVG antivirus;Broadband;Quicktime:Norton Firewall:and my printer.

Perhaps it is because I have two virus programs on?

Jasper, go to start and go to Run. type msconfig.System Configuration Utility will come up. Go to the far side where it says start up and click on the tab. This will display everything that your pc starts when windows boots up. Some may not show down beside your clock. Look at the boxes and tell me all that is checked. I also have a tweak program that I can give you to shut your pc down faster. I know you can turn odd the Quicktime. And I see you have Two anti-virus softwares running, you only need one.I have the same softwares as you but we will talk about that later I have to go now, but let me know what is checked ok.

Hi Tony,

Here are the programs that are currently checked.

(the description nearest the box.

What do you think?

Jasper

jusched

hpsysdrv

hkcmd

KBD

iTuneshelper

RECGUARD

VTTIMER

ccApp

AGRSMMSG

ps2

igfxtray

SNDMon

PSDrvcheck

SOUNDMAN

ALCWZRD

ALCMTR

USISrv

qttask

adiras

MSASCui

avgcc

msmsgs

Plguni

Adobe Reader Speed Launch

DSLMON

hp psc 100 series (printer)

hpoddt01.exe (printer)

Microsoft Find Fast

Office Startup

yeah thats why your pc starts slow. On my I only have 4 things starting. Ok uncheck these..Office Startup,Microsoft Find Fast,Adobe Reader Speed Launch,qttask,hpoddt01.exe (printer),hp psc 100 series (printer). Ok don't worry about the printers starting because when you go to use them they will launch then. Now they are a few more like msmsgs (IM), iTuneshelper and RECGUARD. You can turn these off too, but like your IM you would have to go back and launch it manually instead of it signing you in when you start your pc. I have mine turned off I would rather sign in myself. Remember what you turn off here if you didn't want to you can always go back and change it. Start with these first and lets see what happens. Also, I would remove one of the anti-virus software, IMO, I wud keep my AVG 7 and remove Norton and go put Zone Alarm Firewall on it..After you do this and restart your pc a box will pop-up put a check mark in the lower left side then click ok..then restart it one more time a watch and see how long it takes to shut down and restart.

Thanks for your help people.

I have switched off Norton Anivirus (it was 2004 version anyway) and now use AVG. I have kept Norton Firewall as I like this and it seems to work well.

I have also followed you instructions Tony and it works a little better, but still seems slow to close down (about a minute) and start up showing the hourglass icon long after all the desktop icons have all appeared. Maybe it is just me and my enthusiasm to start!

What is your start up time?

If SuperAntispyware and AVG dont show up any nasties am I alright?

My start up time is about 35-45 sec.about the same for my shutdown. I can send u a software and it will shut your pc down faster..You can always go back to the msconfig and uncheck some more like

ccApp

jusched

hpsysdrv

hkcmd

KBD

ALCWZRD

ALCMTR

USISrv

Plguni

RECGUARD

VTTIMER

Remember what you uncheck if you need to enable it again just go back and recheck them..Most applaction doesn't need to start when windows does but when you to use that software it will launch it self if needed and still want start up when wndows does.

You might also want to get some more memory. Most problems can be fixed with this it can improve your system's performance too.

Unless your pc can't support anymore upgrade, like mine can't go any higher that 512 RAM, but HD can always be upgraded.

Because its a Pentium 3 and thats all it will recognize. Most pc have a certain limit that it can recognize. The newer ones is much higher but it still has a limit.

Because its a Pentium 3 and thats all it will recognize. Most pc have a certain limit that it can recognize. The newer ones is much higher but it still has a limit.

What is you computer... make and model?

~Roland

It's a gateway and I can't remember what model it was. I already took it up to the shop and they told me it wouldn't recognize any over 512 and I stuck a higher RAM in it and it couldn't read it, but no big deal I am about to buy a new pc anyways.

Thanks for that I will give this a try.

I was thinking about going to 1Gb (2 x 512mb) ram memory when next in funds. I didnt realise this helps start up times though.

You will enjoy that new 1GB RAM..Why don't you buy one instead of two 512?..You will also notice that your applacation will be faster too, but just watch out how much is on your start up menu the msconfig because if you have a lot it still be slow starting up. Let me know when you get the new RAM put in.

Two sticks work better than one does ;)

I've heard this too but when I took my pc up to the place where they rebuild pc they told me it doesn't matter if you buy one or break them down to two.

If you already have one 512, which I do when I upgraded from Crucial it would be cheaper to get another identical one. May be a while though.

I unchecked what you suggested Tony and it works much better now. I was really worried I may have a nasty on it somewhere.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Mine is slow running, but not in startup / shutdown. Dual Hyperthreaded Xeon 2.66's with 4GB of RAM. I think I must have a setting wrong somewhere... slow under both ubuntu and XP. :frown:

Brian.

Mine is slow running' date=' but not in startup / shutdown. Dual Hyperthreaded Xeon 2.66's with 4GB of RAM. I think I must have a setting wrong somewhere... slow under both ubuntu and XP. :frown:

Brian.[/quote']

Slow running with 4GB of Ram? Perhaps you have a mouse inside it chewing the wiring!

Tony is the main man when it comes to this, I expect he knows what to do, his advice sorted mine out.

Mine is slow running' date=' but not in startup / shutdown. Dual Hyperthreaded Xeon 2.66's with 4GB of RAM. I think I must have a setting wrong somewhere... slow under both ubuntu and XP. :frown:

Brian.[/quote']

Can't believe your pc is running slow! I would check for spyware with this software SUPERAntiSpyware-Free-Edition