Web Marketing Help Forum
ultimatehandyma

Gestapo Moderators

The most annoying thing for me about some forums (this one is ok ;) ) is Moderators that have decended from the gestapo. Some of the moderators in other forums are down right rude and idiotic, there is no faster way to loose forum members in my opinion.

One of the forums that I used to be a member of continually edited my posts without warning, this is ok if someone has subscribed to a thread but if you have not and you have left lots of messages and each one is edited by the mods then you do not know that you have been offending their rules. For me it makes far more sense to send a private message to tell the poster why their post has been edited or deleted, simply editing or deleting the post helps no body!

Obviously if it is spam then it should be deleted immediately without sending a PM, but if it is a regular forum member that needs a post editing then I feel it is better to PM that person to tell them why it has been edited!

I suppose one good thing about Gestapo Moderators is that it forces you to find a more friendly forum with better moderators.

• Like 1

I agree. It's amazing how a little power can really inflate an ego and cause some people to really power-trip

Edited your posts!!! I never heard of that. :eek:

I "belong" to a forum where they started moderating EVERY message shortly after creating the forum. They wanted to squelch negative posts relating to their buyout of the company and all the furor over the disputes with the previous owner and changes in company policies. I don't bother to post anymore & rarely visit the board. They do not have what they could have, a lively community of members sharing ideas and friendship.

The last straw for me was when they were offering a reduced price on addon software for a limited time period, but no one would tell me specifically what was in the new software. They just said, "go to our website". I tried, & didn't see where it was. I thought since they were trying to sell it, they could detail what was in it, or at least give me a link, but nooooo, that would make sense. Instead, the new owner posted a reply to me that if I wasn't willing to go to the website, I must not be interested! He won't be getting any money from me in the future, regardless of what he might offer.

Instead, the new owner posted a reply to me that if I wasn't willing to go to the website, I must not be interested! He won't be getting any money from me in the future, regardless of what he might offer.

Sounds like that forum was run by kids!

Absolute power corrupts absolutely - ask GWB :D

Generally, if I edit something I will send the poster a note if it's not obvious.

In the rare occasion that someone spams here, I merely delete it or edit in such a way that they hopefully get the message without the need for a message.

I try to always be as mean as possible so that no one will come back... I've found that most people like that :D

JK I think I've mod'd about 5 posts and everyone got a PM explaining why...

NeO

I agree. It's amazing how a little power can really inflate an ego and cause some people to really power-trip

Exactly why I have left forums in the past!

Guest Desert Rose 702

I had been a loyal member of a forum for a year that was like a family. The one and only mod did not do much editing of posts. However, he has always been strongly opinionated and has crossed swords with many well-known individuals. He has the attitude that his opinion is the only one that counts and will get into areas that are better left alone.

I left the forum several weeks ago because he was very critical of certain behaviors of the United States Government re foreign policy. He is a resident of the UK. This particular situation is a point of sensitivity with me and I got really p***ed off. IMO, US citizens can criticize their/my govt but not citizens of other countries. I would not presume to criticize the govts of Canada, the UK, etc. on a forum as I feel it is inappropriate. Arguing politics creates bad feelings most of the time and it has left me with very bad feelings about him.

Other members of the forum asked him to take his argument to a specific "Politics" thread but he refused. Consequently, a number of members have left the forum. He likes to argue for arguments sake and I have lost respect for him.

Additionally, he wrote me a very long PM about a personal problem he was having which shocked and horrified me. (I do NOT shock and horrify easily!) When I did not agree with his behavior and point of view, he became angry at me. I cannot recall being so turned off to someone who is not locked up.

As I have said several times, Fabio is a sane and logical leader and I respect him and am confident he would never allow this forum to go in a direction that was offensive and inappropriate.

As I have said several times, Fabio is a sane and logical leader and I respect him and am confident he would never allow this forum to go in a direction that was offensive and inappropriate.

Isn't my being here a direct contradiction to the above ^^^ statement? :D

And FYI politics and religion are the two topics to avoid... errrr so I've been told :D

NeO

Guest Desert Rose 702
And FYI politics and religion are the two topics to avoid... errrr so I've been told

Of course! Obviously, no one is ever going to convince anyone else to change their convictions. He is the type to keep hammering away though and as a result, has alienated a number of forum members. He will also pick apart and try to twist around all the words of his adversaries. I have no time or patience to get into such nit picking stupidity.........Additionally, when he sees that no one agrees with him, it does not matter. He continues to steam roller along. :frown:

I know what you're talking about Terri... that's part of the reason it was soooo easy to jump in here (TWT) one of the forums that I was a reg @ had a few OLDER men arguing like little kids! I've always said, if I feel like I'm not getting paid to babysit, I'm OUT! I'll jump into political convo's and religious convo's, because I'm not afraid to state my convictions.... however I'll also agree to disagree and drop it ;)

Laid Back,

NeO

I think as a Mod it is your duty to be fair across the board! it is really a position that requires a certain duality, one to serve the owner by enforcing the rules, and two to help and protect members.

Call me a white knight but I actually believe that.

Guest Desert Rose 702
I think as a Mod it is your duty to be fair across the board! it is really a position that requires a certain duality' date=' one to serve the owner by enforcing the rules, and two to help and protect members.

Call me a white knight but I actually believe that.[/quote']

I like that "White Knight".........:cool:

Ryan, I fully agree. IMO, being a Mod also requires a degree of mental stability as well. It is a position of responsibility and is not for people who are emotionally insecure and dictatorial.

I left the forum several weeks ago because he was very critical of certain behaviors of the United States Government re foreign policy. He is a resident of the UK. This particular situation is a point of sensitivity with me and I got really p***ed off. IMO, US citizens can criticize their/my govt but not citizens of other countries.

I disagree. By definition, foreign policy is affecting foreigners so not only they have the right to complain (or agree) but they should. You can start illegal wars all round the world and have no reaction, positive or negative. Especialy in the US where they claim freedom of speech. :tongue:

I disagree. By definition, foreign policy is affecting foreigners so not only they have the right to complain (or agree) but they should. You can start illegal wars all round the world and have no reaction, positive or negative. Especialy in the US where they claim freedom of speech. :tongue:

Won't matter soon... we'll all be one country... under Goooooooogle :D

and if you're not relevant you'll be put in a sandbox!

NeO

Well that's kinda what I was thinking... however some of us have manners :D

Guest Desert Rose 702

To be frank, I do not care what citizens of other countries think of US foreign policy. In addition, those comments are not appropriate in most forums because they engender a lot of bad feelings. Political opinions should not be foisted on members unless the forum is a political one. Happily, TWT is NOT a political forum! :icon_twis :dual:

I like that "White Knight".........:cool:

Ryan' date=' I fully agree. IMO, being a Mod also requires a degree of mental stability as well. It is a position of responsibility and is not for people who are emotionally insecure and dictatorial.[/quote']:rofl: :eusa_clap since i know who you are talking about that is really funny!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be frank, I do not care what citizens of other countries think of US foreign policy. In addition, those comments are not appropriate in most forums because they engender a lot of bad feelings. Political opinions should not be foisted on members unless the forum is a political one. Happily, TWT is NOT a political forum! :icon_twis :dual:
to give a bit of history on what Terri is talking about...in another forum there was a great thread that we all 'hung out' on, chatting, being silly etc. A political issue was brought up and the mod wouldn't leave it alone. Continually talking about how wrong the US is, is not fun or nice for me (and many other members). I started a new thread and asked if such issues be posted there to bring back the friendly and happy atmosphere of the 'hang out' thread. honestly, i think i was made fun and seemily ridiculed for that thread by 'the mod' and another member. the owner NEVER stepped in. that was enough for me. at least i met some cool/helpful people including Terri and Roland, and it brought me here. and that is all i have to say about that. (i had to get it off my chest!):tongue:

Guest Desert Rose 702

Michelle, thanks for your point of view and explanation of what happened in the other forum. I could not imagine the members of TWT stooping to such a low level - and I could not imagine Fabio sanctioning those types of posts.

You, Roland and I all tried to "agree to disagree" to stop the onslaught of vicious criticism but the MOD kept on going like a steamroller. Several other members tried to deflect his attacks but they kept on coming..........Our group kept that forum going so it was a bad move on his part and on the part of the Admin. It used to be a fun place!

Well I'm glad that MOD messed up... you guys ROCK! and are a big part of this forum, so I'm glad that your all here ;)

NeO

Guest Desert Rose 702

Thanks NeO. I got an email that I had a PM over there and tried to access the forum but could not get in. Got an error message. After a day or so, I wrote to the Admin. She wrote back that she would "check on it and get back to me". She never did. Then Michelle and Roland got the error message and cannot get in.

I wonder if the Mod is trying to "punish" us.........:rolleyes: because we dared to disagree with him.