Web Marketing Help Forum
cyanide

How to Choose a Domain Name

Hi, This post is very informative, however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

What specific information are you searching for?

David :tup:

Guest Desert Rose 702

I still find it hard to understand why anyone - with the exception of a huge, well-known company with deep pockets - would pay a great deal of money for an exact domain name. You can always add an "s" or some other very slight modification to the name you want to avoid buying a domain name at inflated prices.

I also notice, when looking at the first 10 or even 20 listings under a specific keyword, that the domain names are only somehow connected to these keywords. The titles and descriptions are what seem important to companies who mainly have an online presence and do not want or need to advertise elsewhere. ;)

I still find it hard to understand why anyone - with the exception of a huge, well-known company with deep pockets - would pay a great deal of money for an exact domain name. You can always add an "s" or some other very slight modification to the name you want to avoid buying a domain name at inflated prices.

I've only been slightly involved in a higher-than-normal domain name purchase once. It was mid 5 figures, not related to PR / traffic / SEO. It was because people were typing that name (name of the company) into the address bar and not getting the company they were expecting, which led to credibility issues. They figured that closing a few extra deals over the first 6 months would more than pay for the domain, so they went ahead and paid for it. It worked out in this case, too. It wasn't a huge company (around 40 employees), but it was still worthwhile to them.

I also notice, when looking at the first 10 or even 20 listings under a specific keyword, that the domain names are only somehow connected to these keywords. The titles and descriptions are what seem important to companies who mainly have an online presence and do not want or need to advertise elsewhere. ;)

I couldn't agree more. I think keyword based domains are for those that are looking for a shortcut. I know Amazon shows up for lots of phrases, and none of them have Amazon in the search term. We get plenty of traffic for searches about our manufacturers, and ToolBarn.com doesn't exactly say any of their names, either. I think the main thing is it's got to sound reputable to get the click (bizness.com won't have the same credibility as business.com, for example), and if it's memorable it'll lead to more repeat visits. That's just basic marketing, which is all we're really doing online anyway. Keyword stuffed domains isn't basic marketing... it's an online shortcut. It may be effective at times, but it's still a shortcut and something I tend to avoid.

Brian.

As a dash fan, (because I had no choice as my desired domains had gone long ago), I was concrened at first that the dash may make it hard for people to find my site. I used e mails and business cards which started the ball rolling. I now find that my site is listed by just entering keywords with spaces, at least in MSN!

I still believe that having the desired name is better even with dashes than settling for something irrelevant.

Great advice though and much appreciated. I will consider your points for my next site.

Great advice in this thread. I just want to emphasized on "don'ts". I'm totally agree with "don't use number", "don't use underscore" and "don't use dash". Why this is important? One good reason is - advertising mouth to mouth. I mean people might advertise your site during their conversation. Conversation is not same as writing. Just imagine that your site is "good2know.com". Users do not know it is a "2" instead of "to" when they heard it from speaking conversation. You will definitely lost many potential visitors by using this kind of domain name. Definitely a waste of money if you are using radio advertisement. Just my beginner knowledge :D

Peopel used top think that if you seperated the words that the search engines would like it better, but for sure it is better to have one or two words. DOn't make the mistake of getting a 3 or 4 word domain name too.

1. Write down all your picks on a piece of paper

2. Sleep over it

3. If in the morning you still want them, go get them! Otherwise go buy yourself some nice things from the money you saved.

1. Write down all your picks on a piece of paper

2. Sleep over it

3. If in the morning you still want them, go get them! Otherwise go buy yourself some nice things from the money you saved.

I agree on writing down your picks on a piece of paper, or maybe on your computer in Notepad or TextEdit. However, I've slept on domain names in the past and in the morning, they were already snatched up.

If you find a jewel of a domain name, register it right away!

Thanks for giving such a useful advise about choosing a domain name as i m thinking about buying a domain u had made me to buy it with full concentration n knowledge.

Do a search for free web host and you should get a list of them.

Great idea! I just now did just that and came up with a couple more I had not found and they'll be perfect! :tup:

I just brought a new domain name. The only thing that I say is the number of searches being made for my domain name. Moreover, a Good domain name is no more than 5-6 letters. You should always look for a 4-5 letter domain name.

You should keep in mind, that a .com domain is always better than any other domain name. May be .net comes next of .com.

In my opinion.Domain names are names assigned to represent, identify and distinguish your website space from that of others. Domain names are unique and consist of a name you choose and an extension such as .com, .org etc. depending on what kind of firm you wish to represent. or which location you are based in.

For the most part I agree with this post.... but

What if your keyword is Work From Home Business? www.workfromhomebusinessguide.com is not bad if you follow the right steps for a Niche site.

Avoid Using Long Domain Names

Although you may now register long domain names, it's really not a good idea. I learned this lesson the hard way. I registered 'www.workfromhomebusinessguide.com' and the sad thing is ... I can't remember the domain name half the time. How can I expect my potential visitors to remember it? Try to keep your domain name as short as possible. The longer the domain name the harder it is to remember and the more apt your potential visitors are to make a typo when typing it into their browser.

For the most part the only advantage I can see from choosing a long domain name is that you can get your long tail keyword into the domain name. This means that if you choose a keyword that is going to get your site a lot of traffic from the search engines it will be easier for you to rank high for that keyword with a longer domain name. It is horrible for customers to try to remember and type without error, but if the amount of traffic that you get from Google is worth it to you then a longer domain is the way to go.

You are exactly right. I never remember domain names anyway, not even my own. That long domain needs to rank in the fist four and then no one needs to remember it. :-)

If you are doing adsense and want your site ranked in the top for your keywords will not be in your domain name with that short of a domain name.

If you are doing a site where you are not getting paid for adsense , then I agree that a short domain name is best. :P

I like em short, long, hard to remember, easy to remember and heck I even have some that are all numbers...lol

Domains, you got to have em. However we all "know" that the domain name means nothing in the end, it's just a hard mental huddle to get over when starting to invest on any idea on the web. I mean really, do you think that digg misspelling the word made them famous? or bing.com would be remembered if Microsoft had not spent millions and millions of dollars getting it out on every ad spot on the planet months prior to it's release?

Advertising, marketing and search rankings are really where its at. Now, I will not discount word of mouth, because this truly is the only place where the pronounceability and shortness of a domain come in to play. But on the same note, who really talks about websites. If somebody starts telling me about some new site, I always say "just email it to me, I'll never remember that" so really the for most cases the domain name makes not difference to me, but don't think I wont spend hours finding a perfect name that I don't care about....lol

-Nick

There are a lot of people who are looking for advice on how to buy a domain name. Here is my take and a couple of methods I use and things I think about before I purchase a domain name.

There are a few things that you will want to learn how to do before you go out and purchase your first domain and build your first website or blog. There are even some things about purchasing a domain name that you will want to consider before you decide on which one is best for your business. There is also a site that you will want to visit if you want to learn how to buy a domain name that represents your business the best.

The first thing that you will need to know is what kind of business you have. If you already have a physically existing business then you want to try to get a domain name with the name of your business in it. This way your customers are already familiar with the name and will be able to type it into their browser easier.

If you are an affiliate marketer who will be using your website or blog for marketing products then you will want to consider what method you will be using the most to market your site. If you are going to be marketing it mostly online then you will want to choose a domain name that will help you get found easier in the search engine. To do this you will want to choose a main keyword that you want to focus on and see if that domain is available. If it is then you will be in luck. Google ranks sites based on the relevancy of the search terms that are used to find information, so when someone types in your exact domain name you will be more likely to be listed toward the top of the results.

If you are going to be doing some offline promotion then you will want to choose a domain name that is easy for people to remember. If you are a business or are starting one that people are not already familiar with you will want to choose something unique and catchy for your domain. This way the name will catch on and be easy for people to remember when they go to find you online.

There are several factors that you should carefully consider when you are thinking about purchasing a domain name. A lot of people purchase a domain name and then try to build a site around it, and this is not a good thing to do. You should have a clear picture of what you want your website or blog to look like and be about before you purchase your domain name.

I agree with you there are many different kinds of businesses and a different method of choosing domain names for each business.

I need to choose a domain name that has my keywords in it cause I am doing niche site with Google Adsense ads. In this case the domain name could and most likely will be longer.

Randy