Web Marketing Help Forum
cyanide

How to Choose a Domain Name

Not mine, so don't shoot the messenger :D

It arrived in my inbox, courtesy of http://www.sitepronews.com

Some good points raised

When you're ready to launch your web site and you're trying to select a good domain name, there are many factors that need to be taken into consideration.

Select a Domain Name that Reflects Your Web Site

Above all else, your domain name should reflect what your web site is all about. For example, if your web site is about grooming a dog, you certainly wouldn't want to select a domain name like 'mybusinessname.com,' since this would have nothing to do with your web site's focus. You would want to select a domain name that tells the world what your web site is all about -- something like 'doggrooming.com.'

Select a Domain Name that Contains Your Web Site's Keywords

Another consideration of great importance are your keywords. Try to select a domain name that contains your most relevant keyword phrase because some Search Engines place relevancy on them. A keyword phrase is two or more words that best describe your web page. If your web page is focusing on grooming a dog, your best keyword phrase will be "dog grooming."

Select a Domain Name that will be Easily Remembered

With mill

Avoid using Dashes and Underscores in Your Domain Name

Although many people do it, don't make the same mistake I made when I first started out. Avoid using dashes, underscores or any other characters within your domain name that may cause confusion. When I registered my domain name, Web-Source.net, I actually wanted websource.com; however, it had already been registered. So, I settled for Web-Source.net. Nöw, when I tell someone my domain name, I have to say it like this: web dash source dot net.

Don't get me wrong, http://www.Web-Source.net is nöw a high traffïc web site, but I can önly imagine how much traffïc I've lost over the years due to my domain name. I have received many emails over the years from visitors who had a hard time finding my site. They said they couldn't remember the domain name and kept wanting to type in websource.com.

Thats interesting and I'm not shooting the messanger :eusa_naug but I have to disagree with the part "I can önly imagine how much traffïc I've lost over the years due to my domain name." If he's not found in the search results the domain name isn't the problem its his seo that's not working. I use a hyphen and have never had anyone say they couldn't find me because of my url...IMHO it's horse cocky. :) but I could be wrong, I doubt it but it's possible. ;)

haha, thanks for not shooting me, Comdial .

I was waiting for someone to comment on the dashes part :D

Some people here already know, but I'm not a fan of the dash. Never had one, and probably never will .

One of the main reasons why I'm not a fan of the dash is off-line promotion.

Which, yes... doesn't have anything to do with seo... which maybe is the point.

Most of my clients are established off-line businesses. They advertise in mags, newspapers, signage and ofcourse word-of-mouth.

So, in that sense. Will people remember the dash or not? Regardless of whether they can or not, it is an extra thing to remember. How many people do you know that say they have a bad memory? :D

no shooten from here. :)

As far as remembering, it makes no difference unless you can buy the correct url that matches your company name, but thats not always possible. They use an inc at the end or something squirrely so it's still hard to remember.

added:

But I understand and you have the right not to be a fan of hyphened url's :eusa_doh:

Yes, Comdial.. good point. Plenty of other variables at work. Ain't the web fun?:D

I have a client that was lucky enough to get a .com with their business name.

They also went out and grabbed a few domains that were easier to remember.

On top of that, their name often gets mis-spelled, so we went out and grabbed domains that had variations of the spelling :rolleyes:

Guest Desert Rose 702

Cyanide, an excellent post that seems like basic common sense to me. IMO, when in doubt, if possible buy your domain name with and without the hyphens. I can't imagine why anyone would consider a name that is not totally descriptive of the service provided. There is a restaurant here in Vegas called "Red Robin" and I wonder why that name was chosen. As far as I know, they sell burgers and that type of stuff. The name is not even remotely descriptive of a burger joint. :confused:

Guest Desert Rose 702

Kaethy, they got established so early on that in my Internet memory, they have always been a household word. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. ;)

There is a restaurant here in Vegas called "Red Robin" and I wonder why that name was chosen.

That is a funny name for a restaurant, BTW the Red Robbin is headquartered in SLC...again why? lol but the do have very good food IMO.

Then there the Arctic Circle thats a burger joint, I guess it just depends when it comes to a name, and I always thought McDonald's was a farm. :D

Guest Desert Rose 702

We've passed the Fatburger many times - never ate there. But you don't have to guess what type of restaurant they are. Have you ever eaten there? :)

I don't share the same aversion to dashes. Neither do search engines.

Hey dburton :welcome:

Are you saying search engines don't like hyphens in the url? If so why would you say that?

Hey cyanide, thanks for posting this article! There is some good info in here for those thinking of registering domain names. But I do have a few comments (and I'm not shooting the messenger, just tapping him on the back);

if your web site is about grooming a dog, you certainly wouldn't want to select a domain name like 'mybusinessname.com,' since this would have nothing to do with your web site's focus.

I agree that registering "mybusinessname.com" might have nothing to do with the focus of your website, but what would happen if your competitor decided to register your company name as a domain? Do you really feel like going through legalities to try to protect and retain your company brand? If your company name is available as a domain name, REGISTER IT RIGHT AWAY. Search for .COM, .NET, .ORG, .BIZ, .INFO and .US availability. At $8.95 per domain, isn't $54 US a small investment to protect your brand?

At the same time, you definitely should invest in domain names related to the services you offer (or plan to offer in the future). As the article mentions, choose keyword-rich domain names, if possible.

With mill

Thanks, great post. One thing I do find a little challenging these days, is extensions. Sometimes it's hard or even impossible to find your company or product name in a .com

Also I think another important factor is cost. I was looking at some domain names a while ago. One of the suppliers wanted to charge $1,288. And get this, it was for a religious .org domain.

Imagine that!

Regards

David Tislini

Guest Desert Rose 702

Whatever name you want - there is always a way around it. I had hyphens in a dating website name which site was very well received by the search engines. Had no problems with customers either. If you think "outside the box", you will probably come up with a name that works very well. ;)

When you're ready to begin' date=' create a list of a dozen or more potential domain names, as chances are, your first choice will already be taken. With any luck, one of the domain names on your list will be available.[/quote']

Selecting name for my latest domain, I checked not a dozen but something about thousand names!

Guest Desert Rose 702

Domain names should state exactly and only the purpose of your website. There should be no ambiguity or extraneous words. For instance, the website I had for a number of years that reached #1 spots on the major search engines was Spicy Senior Singles.

"Spicy" to indicate lively and active individuals, "senior" to indicate the age group and "singles" because it was obviously a dating site. My main keywords were "senior singles" (duh!) and "senior singles dating".

When I look at the lists of domain names some people buy, I wonder what a number of the names are supposed to mean as they describe nothing. ;)