Web Marketing Help Forum
bushman

What was your first computer?

What was your first computer system?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What was your first computer system?

• Colecovision ADAM
    • Timex Sinclair / Sinclair ZX80 ...
    • Commodore VIC 20 / C64 / C128 ...
    • Atari ST / 400 / 800 ...
    • Apple I, II ...
    • IBM PCjr
    • Radio Shack TRS-80 ...
    • Texas Instruments TI-99 ...
    • PC compatible 286, 386, 486-based processor system
    • Other.. please mention below!
    • Intel Pentium based processor
    • Athlon based processor
    • Apple Macintosh (older "beige" series)
    • Apple Macintosh (iMac, iBook, G3, G4, G5 series)

I guess I'm feeling nostalgic, but just wondering what was the first computer system that you "cut your teeth" to? My first was the Timex Sinclair 1000, got it when I was in my early teens. Then upgraded to a Colecovision ADAM computer.

Post any of your nostalgic thoughts here!

David

I don't remember what model it was, but it was a Tandy something-or-other.

It was OK. Did fine for word processing and playing a few games.

I was very late in buying my first computer. I bought my first computer in 1999 from a friend who wanted to upgrade. It was a Pentium 166 with 64 megs of ram and a 2 gig hard drive.

Thanks guys for your comments....I was able to put a few more voting options in the poll.

David :tup:

My first was a Vic 20 but a friend of mine had a Sinclair with a whopping 1K memory as I recall.

My first real PC was a 486 100MHZ, a real screamer for those days.

Man, we thought we were hot stuff in the 80's when we got a Com64 and then in the early 90's I went from a Tandy up to a AST whopping SX33 chip with 4MB of RAM and a huge 200MB hard drive around '92 ... we've come a long way, baby!

I was just thinking about the first time I saw a computer. It was 1968, I worked for the NCR corp. as a tech.

This thing was HUGE, it occupied 3 large rooms with tape drives and punch paper tape machines.

You know what scared the he!! out of me? Working on it, no way did I want anything to do with this beast.

a friend of mine had a Sinclair with a whopping 1K memory as I recall.

1K of memory...ah I remember those days! I actually bought the memory extension which bought up the memory to 16K! (Now that was a killer machine!)

I also remember loading games via personal tape deck. (Talk about analog technology!)

David :tup:

16K was big time memory back then.

When I first had a Vic 20 I didn't have the tape drive so I had to load the program by hand each time.

Comadre 64 for me, it didn't have any memory that I can recall you had to save everything on disk if you wanted to save something.

Wow! Great thread Bushman!

I don't remember the exact model... but I do remember it being an IBM back in '87 That thing was huge... Almost as big as the DOS book that came with it :D we played a few games that a friend had burnt to a floppy disk (which had to be loaded manually each time)

I didn't really get into pc's until '92 when our High School was given a pc for each classroom as a reward for being named State and National school of the year! Then that's when I got into hacking :D you see it was like this... I never did homework, (who had the time) but I aced all of my tests... so I consistently pulled down a C+ to B- GPA (all I needed to keep my drivers license was a C+ as per my parents ) So when the report cards were set to come out and I had a C average, I knew that I was going to have my license pulled for at least two weeks until the progress reports came back out and I could have it back up to a C+ (So me and my best friend, who's now a programmer) put a small virus into the database! The report cards came out the same day as the 2 week progress reports and we never lost driving privileges! Here it is 13 yrs later and it's still funny as hell to us! Watching as these teachers and principals scrambled to figure out what the hell happened :D Anyways nostalgia is wonderful great thread David ;)

NeO