Web Marketing Help Forum
JASPER

Are Facebook and Twitter killing Forums?

A few years ago there were lots of forums, including this one with a regular crowd where you could discuss common interests with intelligent individuals.

Now it appears most fo the forums I use are dead and I think Facebook and Twitter have taken over the interaction forum posting used to give.

Twitter is now the new way of blogging (why bother with a blog site?).

I have been using my forum as an easy way of increasing my website content and for news items.

It is easier for me and adds lots of pages with relevant content.

I just wish a few members would join in the discussion on the subjects I have posted.

Social media has definitely impacted the web. It's even impacted search, so much so that Google is now becoming more of a social engine, integrating both human activity and automated systems.

So, to answer your question, yes it is affecting forums. But, forums are still very useful, much more than Twitter mainly because of the ease of keeping track of threads and posts and being able to reference it later.

With so many different things one "should" be doing to promote their site/blog these days people's time is spread pretty thin because they try to be everywhere instead of where their target audience definately is.

It is a shame that more people don't participate in forums (beyond promoting/spamming) their site. Maybe it is because you can get instant answers on Twitter and alike, depending on who you follow and who's following you back.

I personally don't believe forums are dead there are just more places for people to go search for information. the thing is with a forum, you can always come back and locate what you were looking for, and you have a chance to interact with like minds.

Twitter and facebook are cool for social stuff, but when it comes to being in a place where there are people with the same goals and aspirations as you, you are likely to get more out of it.

I think Facebook is a waste of time unless you are doing marketing there, not for learning. And I think Twitter is good for driving traffic to your niche site. No comparison to forum networking in my opinion.

You pose an interesting question, and I would definitely agree that Twitter and Facebook are pulling many people away from forums. Social media sites occupy a lot of peoples time and allow for rapid communication and feedback. This has led many people away from forums for both convenience and socialization. I still think that forums are the best place to learn about particular subject or have lengthy discussions with a wide variety of people. For this reason I don't think that forums are going anywhere, but their widespread popularity may have faded a bit.

. And I think Twitter is good for driving traffic to your niche site. No comparison to forum networking in my opinion.

How do you use Twitter to drive traffic to your site?

Can you put links in your tweets (I nearly said "posts" - what am I like!)

How do you use Twitter to drive traffic to your site?

Can you put links in your tweets (I nearly said "posts" - what am I like!)

Yes you can put links in your tweets. People put the name of the article/post then the link.

However, if all you do is self promote you will annoy your followers. Mix it up with some retweets and really try to actually communicate with your followers.

After I gave my Forum a plug on twitter I had 25 on there at one time (a record).

But analytics doesnt seem to register the traffic sent by Twitter.

I have clicked on my own links in twitter so they shoudl show up as a traffic source.

What I have is Matrixstats1.1 provided with my package. I didnt even know until yesterday when I asked about AwStats!

Now I have an anomally!

Over the seven days 29.9.11 to 4.10.11

Google Analytics shows 1948 visits and 5134 page views

Matrix Stats shows 7660 visits and 16206 page views.

Si how do I know which is right? and why is there such a difference?

I suspected my forum, but I have analytics set up on every topic page and I have checked this.

So if the Google is wrong, who is to say tha adsense and other info could also be under recorded too.

I am a bit confused now.

Google Analytics uses Javascript therefore only counts those visitors that can execute Javascript or have it turned on. FF users can use NoScript to stop scripts running therefore they wouldn't be counted.

Your other stats program probably uses the web server logs to show you your stats. These tend to show everyone including bots.

Some FireFox broswers show up in my analytics count.

I take the point about bot crawls.

So the short answer is that Google Analytics is not that accurate?