Web Marketing Help Forum
wrmineo

What Search Engines Seek

Want to know how to rank in Google, Yahoo! and MSN? Here's a thought - see what they tell you they're looking for. Granted, they don't all give up all their secrets and it's great to hear the actual experiences of others, but it's also wise to get the basics from the engines themselves.

Rather than undertake an exercise of tautology and regurgitate their information here in verbatim, check out these Webmaster Guidelines:

Yahoo! Site Guidelines

Yahoo! Ranking Basics

Google Webmasters FAQ

Google Webmaster Guidelines

MSN Site Owner Help

MSN Webmaster Guidelines

This list could go on, but it should be a good start for anyone serious about educating themselves and getting a solid start.

I love the power of peers, but there's no substitute for the source.

~ Good Luck and Happy Ranking ~

Guest Desert Rose 702

These are very good resources. It is always best to get information "straight from the horse's mouth" as opposed to getting it from people who provide their own, often-flawed translations. ;)

Good list there, W. R. Mineo

Definitely a great starting point for people. Maybe it is worthy of a sticky?

Okay, you talked me into it Cyanide .... thanks for the comments.

Amberstar - yes, peers are great for opinions and for acting as a second set of eyes ... what I see too often though, is alleged experts spouting advice that is in complete contradiction to what the actual engine entities publish; worse, these points of advice sometimes get employed without a simple, quick verification process first.

ALL: Please feel free to add to the list, but only if they are directly from Search Engines of relevancy. If a link should change, please let a mod know so that it can be edited to ensure that everyone can get the information.

Guest Desert Rose 702

That is what I meant by "straight from the horse's mouth", with the horses being the search engines. A horse racing term meaning directly from the source. :)

I've had a site listed on all major engines for the past four years. Even when I've changed hosts, they have picked it up within a week or so.

Imagine my horror when I found it had disappeared from most with the exception of ask.com and Mama.

The site has now re-appeared (thank goodness), but does anyone know why this should happen in the first place?

I've had a site listed on all major engines for the past four years. Even when I've changed hosts' date=' they have picked it up within a week or so.

Imagine my horror when I found it had disappeared from most with the exception of ask.com and Mama.

The site has now re-appeared (thank goodness), but does anyone know why this should happen in the first place?[/quote']

HI Orion,

When did your site disappear and what circumstances surrounded it?

In other words, did you make any changes around that time?

Well, sometimes search engine rank does fluctuate...

I wonder if it might be your host. maybe the ip address was black-listed.

I've heard of some strange occurances where search engine robots were blocked by a network router

You have mentioned all popular search Engines and what the seek. But you have missed Bing. The third most popular search Engine after Google and Yahoo. Currently on the road to be the second most popular search engine.

I guess they rely on a lot of one way links. No specific idea though..!

Yes, Bing is certainly standing up and making people take notice! However, time alone will tell if they stand the test of time ...

Search engines always want the best for their surfers to let them come back and use the site.

Great info. Thanks

Search Engines wants to rank a website which is popular and this is a simple concept. As people shall always want to visit a website which is popular. And how can a search engine judge the quality and popularity of a site? Obviously through Links and traffic. This are the two prime factors that search engines counts for.

Thanks for these references. Each search engine has its own way of ranking websites, we dont know how they actually do that but by following their guidelines we can make sure we give our sites the best chance of getting a higher ranking. Now that you have shown these sites, we can see what they really want.

Search engines use algorithms which may be similar to or completely different from each other. Yahoo and Bing are generally believed to favor the websites' on page factors like the keywords density, title tags and the H tags while Google is famous for crediting the links and counting them to determine websites rankings and traffic shares. It can be a great idea to use a smart combination in this respect, maintaining a quality and informative website and at the same time commence building links in an authority style which would probably lead to top ranks on all major portals.

Guest ClickSSL.com

Really nice list to search queries in Google, Yahoo and in MSN. Thanks for sharing this.

Guest John Hox

u have a wonderful list there...extremely useful for novices like me!

your information is the gist of your knowledge and it is really great one for novice. i am confused about one fact that if your site rank well in google, other search engines will due consideration to it. is it so.

regards,

micheal