Web Marketing Help Forum
JASPER

Duplicate Content on forums

As we know Google does not look kindly on duplicate content from other websites and quite right too!

But if you host a forum, how do you know, or how can you stop unknowingly hosting content that members have "cut and pasted" from another website(s).

This may even be done in all innocence to be helpful and answer someone's problem.

I am intending putting a request in my Forum Rules" not to cut and paste but refer to the website using a link instead.

Does google worry about content on forums?

Anyone got any other ideas?

Having moderators that know how to look for copy and paste content quickly helps a lot.

A hint of copy and paste would be a tips post/thread.

Whether Google worries about duplicate content on forums isn't quite as important as you showing up in the results with the same content and not being the first one in the results IMHO. Think about it. When you are looking for something and you see a bunch of sites with the same blurb in the search results it's human nature to read it once and skip the rest. ;)

If the person who was quoted without proper credit is on the ball and watching for copyright infringement, they could contact you and request it be removed. This could require a thread be removed because it was the opening post which in turn snowballs into a 404 not found result should that thread be indexed already. Now you have to do a 301 permanent redirect to salvage the incoming link or you end up with a bunch of 404 listings in the index.

Keeping a forum clean is a lot of work!

Having moderators that know how to look for copy and paste content quickly helps a lot.

A hint of copy and paste would be a tips post/thread.

Whether Google worries about duplicate content on forums isn't quite as important as you showing up in the results with the same content and not being the first one in the results IMHO. Think about it. When you are looking for something and you see a bunch of sites with the same blurb in the search results it's human nature to read it once and skip the rest. ;)

If the person who was quoted without proper credit is on the ball and watching for copyright infringement, they could contact you and request it be removed. This could require a thread be removed because it was the opening post which in turn snowballs into a 404 not found result should that thread be indexed already. Now you have to do a 301 permanent redirect to salvage the incoming link or you end up with a bunch of 404 listings in the index.

Keeping a forum clean is a lot of work!

Oh Dear!!!

I thought I could just delete it and that was that.

Better to delete BEFORE the post gets indexed then.

This was in my email today from a newsletter I get and I thought about you:

From the first announcement of Google’s algorithm update this year, we knew that it was expected to eliminate low-quality content and, particularly, content farms. However, many of the sites that were lumped into this low-quality category did not agree with the classification, including popular IT discussion site DaniWeb.

DaniWeb Speaks out on Recovering from Google Panda Note: there is an auto play video at the top of the page (in case that matters)

Edited by WiseWebmaster

Hmmmm........... Interesting. It does look like Google doesnt like duplicated comntent. I must watch out for cut and paste!

Thanks for that WW