Web Marketing Help Forum
JASPER

SpywareRemoval

I have all sorts of problems with my computer today.

I was sent an e card Christmas Greeting and it said I needed a Quicktime add-on so I said yes.

I then got something called Spyware Protection scanning my computer saying I had this and that malware trojans and worms.

It even had the windows badge and started out as windefender!. The only clue was it needed paying for before you could "activate" it. Windows dont charge.

I checked it out by googling it and it is a FAKE. I unplugged the internet and tried my AVG virus scan but nothing at all worked. No programs whatsoever.

I had to re start then f8 in safe mode just so I could restore to an earlier time, which I did. On re booting it all works.

I did AVG and spybot scans and they came up with nothing which surprised me. Anyway I unchecked the system restore, turned it off and then back on again and re checked the system restore box and it all seems ok.

I do wonder whether the program is still on my PC somewhere.

Scared top access financial stuff until I am sure.

Anybody know anything about this horrible virus/malware?

Try running HouseCall from Trend Micro. It might take a while depending on how much stuff you have on your drive and how big it is.

At the end it will either help you fix the problem(s) it finds or help you find solutions.

A friend sent me a warning about a Christmas card virus but I deleted it. :(

Try running HouseCall from Trend Micro. It might take a while depending on how much stuff you have on your drive and how big it is.

At the end it will either help you fix the problem(s) it finds or help you find solutions.

A friend sent me a warning about a Christmas card virus but I deleted it. :(

The friend who caused the problem also suggested the Housecall.trendmicro. I ran it but it didnt find any problems.

He also reccommended CCleaner which gets rid of unwanted unused files. It found 179MB of files, none of them hurt by deleting.

Computer is still a bit slow, but not more than usual. I am just a bit worried the Spyware is still on here dormant somewhere along with whatever else.

The thing is it got past AVG and Spybot! Many friends have said they have had this malware too. Some have had to format their hard disc to get rid of it. At least I caught it early.

I have looked in Windows Task Manager "processes" and cannot see any SpywareProtection files.

Can the "system restore to an earlier date" actually get rid of it?

Is it still on my system somewhere?

What does anyone know about this removal tool? is it safe?

http://www.spywarevoid.com/spyware-protector-2009-removal-remove-spywareprotector-2009.html

It could still be there Jasper. Maybe you better do like your friends, format and start over. After backing up the important stuff first!

Do you have a backup before you got hit? I'd use that one for clean restoration of your project files.

It could still be there Jasper. Maybe you better do like your friends, format and start over. After backing up the important stuff first!

Do you have a backup before you got hit? I'd use that one for clean restoration of your project files.

I did have a back uop but it was a few months old. I have now backed up everything, keeping the older back up as well.

BUT...............formatting the hard disc is a major job. I would have to reinstall all my software, find all my web favs, re load e mails and address book etc etc. At the end of the day I would be better getting a new computer with Windows 7, a 32-Gb hard disc and 3Gb ram. What i have now is XP, 60GB and 512MB ram!

having said that, it is all working fine and my accounts have not been raided! I am doing regular weekly checks using AVG and Spybot.

Make sure you've changed all your passwords. When you get hit with spyware it can be months, sometimes even over a year before anyone actually uses your passwords to access your data.

I would personally recommend you format your hard drives (its the only way to be sure).

In future I would suggest keeping a small (100GB external hard drive) with all your major software programs, drivers, bookmarks etc on it. So should you find yourself needing to go through a major format its not as painful as it could have been.

Either way consider Firefox Browser + NoScript on top of your AV, Firewall and anti-malware programs to help you stay safe.

No need to format.

From personal experience of several cyber attacks, malware attacks and trojan attacks I can safely say tha Malwarebytes is hands down the best malware protection and removal software. It's worth every penny. I swear if I didnt have malwarebytes I would've been ****ed completely quite a few times.

It still hasnt failed me once.