Web Marketing Help Forum
JASPER

Web Page display width

I am updating the look and design of my website and would like advice and opinion on what size to make the WIDTH of the site.

With most people having widescreen monitors and laptops is it sensible to increse the width to full screen as Massive links or keep it to the normal 230mm wide as per BBC website?

Most sites nodays dont seem to be implementing full width and I queit like it. I think it gives you a feeling that you are in control of the information and it also looks great.

There are some sites that have choosen to go full screen and look pretty good. I think it comes down to the colours etc that you choose. Also if u have a look at Massive Links, the post page with the blue bits does end just short of full screen. I think that gives it a more compact look.

I would say experiment with various colours and see which one looks the best. If you choose full screen, please use a few columns.

Everyone's preference differs and there is no way to please all of the people (visitors) all of the time. In many hosting admin panels, cPanel for example, will show you the user stats of the visitors coming to your page or site and you can use that data as an info or guide to cater to the mass of your audience. Other options could be that you create relative or scalable sizing based on the visitor's visual graphic display settings, or even make it user-driven in that they can select the text size, page width, etc. as I've done on a newly relaunched (still in progress) Elizabethtown KY website; the top of the page has controls for the individual user to adjust to their needed or desired display.

scaleablesize.gif

It's great that you are focused on the needs and desires of your visitors; keep them foremost in thought and you'll be doing them a service and yourself (site) justice.

Good luck and safe surfing!

®

Rob

Jasper,

What you can do is set the width of your page to 100% for those who do not have large screens and then also include the max-width property for those who have huge monitors and your design would be too spread out.

As Rob pointed out, you can use your website stats to determine what is the most common screen resolution of your visitors then use this information to decide what max-width should be set to.

I am using (learning WEBPLUS10) and this doesnt seem to have a full page or 100% setting. So I am limited to sizing the master page width to suit potential screens.

Thank you for the replies folks

I have checked out users resolution. Assuming the first number is the width the results are:

Top resolution 22.7% of visitors was 1024

60.85 of visitors had resolutions greater than this (1280 or more)

Finally weakened and decided to go with 1024 width. This keeps all the pages the same width and may make it better for users.

Finally weakened and decided to go with 1024 width. This keeps all the pages the same width and may make it better for users.

That looks great! Setting the width to 1024 is a good idea and your page looks much better. Everything seems to fit well on the page.

Thanks for the positive encoragement. I have now uploaded all but the site map and snagging photos pages.