Web Marketing Help Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Javi_Uffhofen

I need your suggestions about a multilingual site

Hi,

I´m about to launch a site and I want it to be bilingual at the beginning and later multilingual. Can you please do some suggestions about this? I mean which is the best way to do that, creating subdomains for each language?

I wasn´t sure if this forum was the right place for my question but I think that what I´m asking has somehow to do with design.

Thanks a lot for your help.

There are softwares available with different number of fonts for you to use. You may try initially with sub-domains for different languages and explore the possibilities of launching the site.

There are several ways how to do this if you are targeting a worldwide audience and you must choose the one that is most suitable for your site (it depends if it is a dynamic site or not, some of the alternatives may not work for dynamic websites).

You may use links for each language,GNU Gettext support in php or Apache's mod negotiation, just to name few.

Now that google offers to translate most pages, there is not near as much need to do anything fancy as far as the setup of the site goes. If you want to draw the translation to option to your readers attention your could put a button at the top or use a simple wordpress plugin to offer this option. If users browse using Chrome or come from a google search and the page is not in their native language they will be prompted at the top of the browser to translate automatically any more.