Web Marketing Help Forum
WiseWebmaster

Do You Have a Useful 404 Error Page?

What is a 404 Error Page?

A 404 Error page is the page your visitors and search bots see when they reach a page that is missing from your website and you have not done a 301 permanent redirect if you moved it. A 404 error page can show when someone that is linking to you uses the wrong url.

If you don't have a custom 404 Error page then your web hosting shows their's.

When you have your own 404 Error page it should match your site, a description of what happened and give the visitor some indication what to do next.

So.. have you thought about this and created custom error pages for your site?

Yeh cant stress enough about a custom 404 error page.

It gives visitors a direction when they cant find a particular page. The custom page should incorporate the same tamplate as your site. It should also have a visible messege like 'sorry, the page you are tryng to find does not exist' or something similar. It should also have a link to you homepage and other important pages/categories.

Great point, a custom 404 page really makes your site look more professional and unified. Having a custom page will assure your user that just because your site has a broken link, that your site is still worthwhile and there is plenty of accessible information within reach.

That´s one of the things I like the most of good Content Management Systems, they take care of the error pages for you. I mean it´s really difficult to manage all possible errors, like when you just want to delete some content and erase a whole page that was already cached by Google. I´m glad WordPress does the work for me :)

There is a whole site devoted to 404 Error Pages: 404 Error Pages.com - Seems they have redesigned this since I last visited.

Ahh, that's not the one I was originally thinking of, 404 Research Lab was the one.

Nice links - I especially love the highlight 404 pages in the 404 research lab. There are some really creative error pages out there that I believe adds a nice quirk to your site that users would enjoy.

That´s one of the things I like the most of good Content Management Systems, they take care of the error pages for you. I mean it´s really difficult to manage all possible errors, like when you just want to delete some content and erase a whole page that was already cached by Google. I´m glad WordPress does the work for me :)

As far as I know, Wordpress only has a 404 error page and that's only if your theme designer included the template for it.

The default one isn't terribly useful. It needs tweaking.