Web Marketing Help Forum
Fabio Cuffaro

Is the Desktop PC Dead?

According to Google Europe boss John Herlihy, the desktop PC will be irrelevant in three years. He states that mobile devices will be the way people will use the Internet and being stuck at a desk will go the way of the Dodo bird. Mobile devices have been a growing trend, especially with smart phones. Laptops have have outselling Desktops Desktops for quite some time and now with the iPad coming out soon, I can see how going mobile is the way of the future. But three years from now? Impossible! It's too early and there's way too many people who are still getting used to the Internet to be adopting mobile technology. Size is key. Browsing and reading on small devices is good for short periods of time, but to have to spend most of your day accessing the net via a small device is too much for me. And what about people who work off of computers? Will they be working off of mobile devices too? I own a laptop, and I do work off of it for certain things, but there's nothing like sitting behind a desk with my dual monitor desktop PC when I really want get some work done.

What about you? What do you think about mobile devices being king of the hill in three years?

I totally work off of a laptop right now cause I am not at home. And I would never work off a small device (I hate them). At home there is the double wide screen desktop :-)

Desktops will never go away, they just might change appearance.

Well I dont think they irrelevant and that too within three years. Yes demand for mobile devices will keep growing and demand for desktops might fall, but I dont see them dissappearing.

Right now I work on a laptop, but I do switch on my desktop time and again. I find it much easier to use for gaming.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Despite the exponential sales growth of mobile internet devices, I don't really think the desktop will ever be irrelevant. It may change shape and size, but the idea of a large screen desk workstation is something that I believe will remain. I just can't see people who use a computer all day long working from a mobile device. Perhaps the idea of a docking station where your mobile device is your computer but you can keep a large screen and comfortable keyboard at your desk will become common.

Every company that I have ever worked for has provided me with a laptop and a docking station for my desk and my home desk. So my laptops have really been desktops to the I also can use a a laptop (which it is).

The problem with this is work is 24/7. when I get home I do not even want to see my computer.

I was reading an article a while back that was comparing the number of Internet users and the devices they connect on, it was saying in the next 1-2 years there will be more people on the Internet using hand held devices than any other medium. I don't know that this means the PC is dead, to me it just means that parents need to stop paying for a second Internet bill for there kids to update twitter and facebook while they are at school if anything.

When it comes to hand held devices I don't think anybody really would prefer to see what they view on the Internet in micro size and for productivity, you cannot beat a keyboard. I have an iPhone an yes, I love it. However, there is no way I would trade it in for my PC. Having large vivid displays are so much better and give a lot more workspace. As for the touch keyboard. It does work better than I ever imagined it would, but I do think that even with the iPad size keyboard serious users will find much to be desired when they are actually working and not just playing around on the Internet.

Even if the voice to text technology gets perfected, which is already pretty darn good if you ask me, I don't see people wanting to verbalize everything they are typing, there are some things we like to keep private, right?

I do see the tables starting to turn in one area that will really effect the sales of the PC. Since there are so many mobile devices being bought and sold, the cost of the parts like solid state drives, mobile processors and motherboards the cost effectiveness of the desktop pc may be a thing of the past. The only advantage of having a PC in the future may be larger faster options that are not available on laptops and mobile devices. Currently the cost for bigger parts on a PC are cheaper, but the balance of price is starting to get slimmer and slimmer.

I think desktop PC will never cease to exist. Tough some of us are on travel and do not remain at our homes for a long time, laptops will be of a very good use. At home of course there can be no replacement for desktop PCs. Working from small screens is very difficult.

What about you? What do you think about mobile devices being king of the hill in three years?

Hate working on the laptop for serious productive work. So much so, I bought a rollup keyboard to put in the bag and also have a mouse in the bag for when I absolutely must work portable. Always worried someone is going to pinch it so don't have anything important on it.

Much prefer to work on my desktop. Has everything I need. Keyboard and mouse on a tray under the table top for ergonomics, well fitting chair. System backed up periodically throughout the day.

There cannot be a perfect substitution for desktop personal computers. I somehow develop work satisfaction only if I work in front of a desk top computer. This satisfaction is missing for me with laptop or netbook.

Its horses for courses. There are always time when a mobile type device is better but if I am at home I always use the desktop. As it has been said above mobile devices will improve and the prices will come down but for me you cant beat a nice 21" monitor and a decent keyboard and mouse, something the mobile devices will never have. Of course the other thing is as I am getting older the bigger the screen and the keys the better :D

The difference between working on mobile device and the desk top PC is similar to that between watching your favorite movie in a cinema and on the car screen!

In majority of the offices, I find the desktops preferred by the employees to the laptops. I was surprised to find them ordering more desktops at their workplaces.

I can't see how a mobile can replace a PC, with a PC it can be configured and upgraded a lot more than a mobile, you also can replace the operating system and do vastly more things with it.