Web Marketing Help Forum
rpierce2010

The All Knowing Google Cloud!

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Google knows too much about you?

Many people here know that I am more of a MS guy not that they are bad guys either and know too much, but really Google and Google Docs and Google trying to have computers with no HD and run the Chrome OS really scares me. It is getting really close to the day were all of your information is on the "All Knowing Google Cloud"

MS is doing it too along with everyone out there just not as aggressive. I want to keep as much of my data on my HD though as much as I can.

How do you feel?

It really is a scary thought that so much of our information is out there and being stored by any one company. I hadn't heard about the lack of a traditional hard drive in the Google OS, and that definitely bothers me. There are some things that aren't meant to be online, like certain financial documents, and it should of course be up to the user what is stored online. Despite the security measures in place it would make me a little bit uneasy to have my whole life on the web without actively deciding what I put there.

Before I get to my own personal thoughts, let me tell you a story about the top professionals in a multi-million dollar company that I used to consult during the Y2K scare. I was on a team that worked along side there security planing team. One of their suit and tie corporate tie wearing consultant types said something that I have quoted many times since and found a lot of wisdom in. During one of the board room meetings, he said "After all, any of us who think about it rationally, Security Is Simply Perceived! How Secure, How Safe Do You Feel?"

I thought that this was just wonderful and true for all intents and purposes. If mean if your security as been breached and you don't even know it, if somebody ask you how comfortable you were with the security measures your company was taking, you would most likely reply that you are secure and fully confident in the competency of your team, that is until you found out that your security has been compromised.

I can remember back as far as in Windows 98 and on whatever old version of Internet Explorer that would have been, how you could find how to's on the Internet to remove the so called malicious file that collected every web page you have been to and user data, this was all of course reported to Microsoft....but now users knowingly accept EULA's that give up all personal freedoms and make it known that these companies are going to collect your data and use it for whatever they want.

How many times have you clicked "yes" to helping Google, Microsoft or any other software developers box that asks you if you want to share your data to allow them to better their product and service? Probably more times than you can remember.

So with that being said, I have only expected any word, image, video or anything else I have ever done on a computer to be logged somewhere. The real question most people should be asking themselves, is what am I doing on my computer that I don't want others to know about?

I do not take the big companies side in this argument, I just think people should look at the situation a little more realistically sometimes.

I do have an old computer that I keep off-line, just for this purpose. Am I paranoid, maybe. But they say your not paranoid, if somebody really is following you, right?

How many times have you clicked "yes" to helping Google, Microsoft or any other software developers box that asks you if you want to share your data to allow them to better their product and service? Probably more times than you can remember.

I always click "no"Even MS.

So with that being said, I have only expected any word, image, video or anything else I have ever done on a computer to be logged somewhere. The real question most people should be asking themselves, is what am I doing on my computer that I don't want others to know about?

I feel the same way, that everything I do online will be recorded somewhere, and I don't really have a problem with that. My concern is more with an operating system where you don't have a choice on what makes it to the internet. It may be a little paranoid, but I would prefer to keep some of my financial files and spreadsheets offline, even though I'm sure the security would be multi-fold.

I feel the same way, that everything I do online will be recorded somewhere, and I don't really have a problem with that. My concern is more with an operating system where you don't have a choice on what makes it to the internet. It may be a little paranoid, but I would prefer to keep some of my financial files and spreadsheets offline, even though I'm sure the security would be multi-fold.

What about keeping people from knowing you viewing history too? :-)

I don't know if everybody is aware of this feature on your Google account or not, so I though I would put it out there. If you login to any Google service and then choose "Account" at the top right, you will be taken to the screen in the attached image. You see where the arrow points, you can see all the yummy data that Google has been collecting on your account here.

For some what you find may be a big surprise!

post-3350-126685955502_thumb.jpg

Actually the first time I saw this two years back, I was really shocked? Well now there is nothing to be shocked about. Well, yes I agree these companies do store more then required personal data with them, not only Google, all does but what can we do about it, nothing. We can just act a bit more alert knowing that someone is always watching us :P