Web Marketing Help Forum
Sign in to follow this  
www.JKomp.com

Buying a laptop

I'm buying a laptop, never done this before, bought plenty of computers in my time but never a laptop. Is there anything i should look out for? Any tips etc. Particularly wonna know about the processor i should get

If you are specifically buying it to be used on the move, then battery life is going to be highly important. Cost of an additional or replacement battery would also be pertinent.

Screen size may be important too - if you are used to a large desktop monitor then a small screened laptop may prove difficult on the eyes.

• Like 1

Like Padawan said, if you are on the move and battery life is very important I would deifnitely go with a model that has a Centrino processor. The battery life lasts three times more than a model that doesn't have the Centrino processor.

I have a 15.4 widescreen and I much prefer it over a regular screen. I have an Acer and I'm very happy with the quality. The wireless card is very sensitive and picks up networks that are quite distant. Acer gives credit to the fact that the've placed the antennas at the top of the screen.

Things to consider

processor

screen size

value

The rest of the features is the same as a desktop

Hard Drive

optical drives

OS Pro or home and so on

The Dell Inspiron 6000, which is due to arrive at my house tomorrow, got 5:31 on the PC Mag BatteryMark test. I got it with the Pentium M 1.6 ghz/2mb/533mhz, 1GB RAM, 60gb 7200-rpm hard drive, the the 128mb ATI X300 non-integrated graphics card (which also saves power), and the bigger battery.

Total cost with a really, really cheap color multifunction printer: $2000.

Or, you can get a lower-end (but still great: 512mb RAM, 1.6ghz Pentium M, big HD, 15.4 inch widescreen) for $999 with a special e-value code... just look on pcmag.com.

• Like 1

Fabio, centrino and processor do not belong in the same sentence, much less one modifying the other, a Pentium m is on of the components of centrino technology. (sorry, one of my pet peeves :) )

I have an hp that I am very happy with. I would suggest you not get a dell because they are not known for their quality and laptops are kind of hard to fix if the work is shoddy.

And in addition to the other things people said to consider: weight

I have to also agree with Moncal. Centrino is a mobile technology which includes the Pentium M processor. Wikipedia has an interesting tidbit to share:

Intel has reportedly invested $300 million in advertising. Because of the ubiquity of the marketing campaign, many consumers mistakenly refer to the Pentium M processor as Centrino. This has been advantageous to Intel because there is more demand for "Centrino" based notebooks than for Pentium-M based notebooks. Moreover, many consumers have received the impression that Centrino is the only way to get wireless connectivity in a notebook. The net result is increased demand for Intel's 855 and PRO/Wireless chipsets.

Thanks Moncal for helping us see the light! Then again, you did say that Centrino and processor couldn't be mentioned in a sentence together. I think it is possible, as you can see above! :icon_wink

Dave

this site might help you in buying one:

http://www.laptopuniverse.com

... laptop parts, laptop batteries, ac adapters, CD-ROM/CDRW/DVD/Combo drives, floppy and hard drives, dell parts, laptop ac adapters. Volume discounts for dealers. OEM replacement laptop parts, car/air ...

good luck to you :)

thanks a lot for the site but I'm in the UK :(

Good to look at though.

I always use ebuyer when looking at uk laptops.

I always use ebuyer when looking at uk laptops.
I'd second that, ebuyer.co.uk are very hard to beat on price and their service is good, despite being hard to contact by 'phone.

okay, so i think today i might actually get round to buying the thing, wish me luck lol!

Good luck. Share with us when you find the one. :)

I'm typing this on my Dell Inspiron 6000. It's a 1.6ghz Pentium M (2mb/533mhz) and has 1gb RAM and a 128mb Radeon X300 graphics card. Its performance on games is better than my desktop, which has:

3ghz P4 with hyperthreading

128mb nvidia graphics card

512mb RAM

This is very interesting...

Go with a laptop that has mobile technology based processor. This is the latest in laptops. Also decide on what kind of laptop you are looking on. If you are not too sure then probably go with a branded company. they will guide you better.